VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What OEM leather steering wheel will fit my van....it has to be leather bound with no airbag....

Does a wheel off a mk4 or similar fit???

Help needed peeps!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a mk4 golf GTI leather steering wheel with airbag on my 52 plate van but had to use a steering boss from mk3 golf or seat leon as shaft fittings are different. Also to get air bag to work and indicators to self cancel i needed to make a spacer for air bag wiring ring (took about 15 mins on lathe) . Air bag,horn and indictors all work. Happy Days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a mk4 golf GTI leather steering wheel with airbag on my 52 plate van but had to use a steering boss from mk3 golf or seat leon as shaft fittings are different. Also to get air bag to work and indicators to self cancel i needed to make a spacer for air bag wiring ring (took about 15 mins on lathe) . Air bag,horn and indictors all work. Happy Days.
Ok sounds good....dont mind using a mk4 wheel and using the airbag as a dummy. But the spacer has got me stumped....do you have any dimensions of the spacer needed??

·
Registered
190 Posts
The wheel will fit on using the adaptor from mk3 golf or seat (there is another post on here that gives a part number for it (about £8 + vat ish) but fits to high up column for air bag/horn contacts and indicator cancellor to work (approx 10mm) To get this to work you need to space the round plastic box that has air bag wires/ horn cables and indicator cancel lug on down approx 10mm. I made mine from round piece of aluminium made to fit inbetwen plastic box and wheel.I don,t have size as it was abit of trial and error to get the depth right. Extreme care taken as this goes on the steering column if is wrong it will foul and jam!!!!! It would be best to get a good machine shop to make it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts