VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody got any pics, got all of bolts out but i think there are a couple i have missed anybody know where they are

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes seen this thread still not sure where, they are describing, its probs just me being thick again

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
yes seen this thread still not sure where, they are describing, its probs just me being thick again
They are either side of the Crank mate you can see them through 2 holes in the casting. You will need a long hex socket.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
You should give details of which engine you have to make it easier for members to help you.

Assuming you have a 2.5TDI or 2.4 with an aluminium sump,there are two bolts between the sump and the flywheel,you will need to turn the engine over by hand until you can get to each bolt in turn,there is a clearance in the back of the flywheel.You will need to shine a light up the acces holes so you can see what your doin whilst you turn the crank. There are also 3x 13mm headed bolts and 3x 6mm allen key headed bolts to be removed,the 13mm point up like the 5mm headed bolts but the 6mm ones 2x go from the gearbox side and one from the engine side near the speed senser on the gearbox housing.

if yours is a 1.9 then i have wasted my time explaining the above

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no you did not waste your time it is a 2.4 d aab engine, sorted now have taken sump off and checked the crank crank turns, half way then stops dead, think it may have dropped a valve cheers

·
Registered
531 Posts
the 1.9 has couple of bolts behind the small metal plate over the bottom of the gearbox(engine side) that hides the flywheel
when plate is removed you need a wobble bar and short torx bit to remove them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi there,

Just dug this one out!

It took me a while to figure all that out and finally made it to get all the bolts.

I have both Haynes AND Brooklands manuals, and there is nothing in there to cover the 2.5L 5Cyl Tdi sump....!!

So thanks for helping me out without knowing.

I will complete the post with pictures, to make the job easier for those who will have a use of it in the future and also do my part.

So the bolts that are hiding inside the casting are on the gearbox side of the engine. They are the two I have circled on the picture below:

Before you try to reach them, make yourself a big favour and REMOVE the bolt that is holding the pendulum mount bracket and push it out of your way. You will need a 10mm Allen key. It is very easy.

After the bracket is out of the way, you may see this in one of the holes:

See the head of the bolt hiding behind the silver lip of the wheel?

You can use a 27mm socket with half inch drive and turn the engine from the crank pulley (the belt was off) until you see this:

This is my BAHCO 1/4" extension with that 5mm Allen socket, goes right in

Repeat the last step for the other bolt that hides in the other casting hole.

Not sure the reason for 5mm Allen bolts on that pan, considering the torque required to crack them with a 1/4" drive set seems inadequate. I am considering replacing them all with Torx or just hex 10mm that will make a lot more sense. Any advice welcome before I put this one back on in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts