VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum.
I að m wondering you guys know this. I recently got stuck in snow and noticed that the syncro was only engaging when the car was going forward. I've asked around and I'm getting mixed answers, no syncro in rev or that it's broken.
Anyone here know?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Hi, if you have ABS the rear differential is disengaged (freewheel VW calls it) when you press the brake, this is for the ABS to function correctly, and also in reverse, seems a bit stupid in reverse but that’s how it is, control unit for this in in the dash somewhere and activates the vacuum valve on the rear diff, there may be 2 valves on the diff if you also have diff lock switch on the lower dash. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have abs.
The abs light got lit in the dash when I got stuck, turned off as soon as I got pulled out off the bank. No diff lock, at least I don't think so.
So there should be a switch in the dash for the vacoom when I rev?
Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
“So there should be a switch in the dash for the vacoom when I rev?”
There’s no switch in the dash, l meant if you have diff lock there a switch a pull switch/knob on the lower dash.
Only way to disable the syncro freewheel is to have a switch in the reverse light circuit from the gearbox, don’t mess with the ABS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts