VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a long Euro adventure and want to take bikes on the back of our t4. Was wondering if anyone has ideas on if the following rack exists:

• Bike rack (tow bar or rear mounted) that allows the tailgate to open? Don't fancy taking it off everytime we need to get into the back :(
  • Bike rack that locks to the van
  • Bikes can lock to the bike rack

Am I asking tooo much of a bike rack that is the question!! :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thule Euro Tow bar mounted bike rack, has a tilt option with bikes fitted to rack, rack locks to tow bar, rack locks to bike frame, unfortunatly it does not stop people taking wheels or parts of the bike, but the frame is still locked to the bike, you could fit additional bike chain and lock to removable parts to make it more secure, the only issue is that it's not a cheap option it's around £400 new

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Addmitedly it's for barn doors, but have used my Fiamma abroad. With three locks / cables. Bike frame rear wheel with one to rack. Bike frame / front wheel to rack and through towing loop using a 12mm cable, and one through frame and rack to roof bar. Ok I have to unlock two locks to open door and will travel with just one lock or if I'm near van. It's as close as I'll get to secure though :*. Dont forget to remove saddle, or get ANOTHER lock ! :confused:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the Fiamma 4 bike rack and its great , secure on van and I just lock bikes to it.
Brill, and only about £150.00 all in.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello.

I have a bike rack from Towsure, it cost me £25. It has a very solid steel plate that bolts behind my tow ball. To get my tail gate open I had to put a 1/4 inch spacer behind the tow ball. Then I had to grind the top corner of the plate back a little. Either way it still works the same.
The Bike rack then just sits onto the steel plate, locked into place by a padlock. I find this rack works very well for me and can be removed even with the bikes on the rack, to open the tail gate.

Hope this helps, John.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I have a similar system to the last post -

Bike rack fits onto a rectangular plate fixed to the tow bar mounting in front of the tow ball.

The rack locks to the plate with a padlock. I can get up to 4 bikes on the rack and using chains/bike locks I can lock the bikes, wheels, sadles etc to the rack. The rack (and all the bikes if locked to the rack) can be rremoved from the tow hitch in one go to allow access to the tail gate.

orks for me and dead cheap!!!!

Also means that the van looks standard when not carrying bikes! Cool!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like I've got a few websites to have a look at. Anyone got a MaxxRaxx?? They sent me the following through which may well be an option:

'We would normally recommend our Discovery rack for this vehicle, it will give you a 150mm offset from the rear tail gate and prevent the 1st bike’s handle bars fouling it. The rack would then need an adaptation to allow you to open the tailgate. We have a template set-up to cut away the bottom of our S-Tube to give it more of a slope'

Only thing is the bikes are hanging where with the Thule they sit onto of the rack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts