VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have obtained a towbar for my T4, mine is 2000 model TDI with one piece rear bumper, tow bar has come off a '92 van with three piece rear bumper. It is a drop neck type one with big box section cross bar which fits inside the rear bumper. It looks like it will fit ok but I'm wary of taking the rear bumper support off as I think the step on the rear bumper will be unsupported. Anybody any experience of these type of towbars? Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've fitted towbars to a '92 van and my 02 caravelle. Both have used brackets which bolt directly into holes in the rear chassis members, and were fitted from underneath the van. The bumpers didn't have to come off or be modified. I can't imagine that there's anything in the bodywork behind the bumper that would be strong enough for a towbar attachment.
Some of the towbar websites have fitting diagrams which might help you work out what goes where.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry also meant to put that i know the listing says its for vans upto 1995 but according to all other towbar listings available there is no difference in the fittings for early and late vans.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The tow bar should just replace your rear bumper bracket.

Strip the bumper down to bracket, outercase, inner iron and pads. Probably a good time to rub the metal work down and Hammerite it. Then rebuild around the towbar using the metal straps to lengthen the legs to the other holes in the chassis rails.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Thanks for your reply, the towbar does pick up on the main chassis rails at the back the same as a lot of the ones I have seen for sale, it is similar to the westfalia one that is available which fits inside the rear bumper.....

This one for sale on e bay is the same as the one I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270964088...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_1687wt_698
You shouldn't have to remove the bumper to fit that. It's all bolted on from underneath, remove the spare wheel and you should be able to see all you'll need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts