VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
there is a build thread of one being done on here im sure you njust bye a van cheap as then cut the front off then weld on the tow gear .:ILU::ILU::cool:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Do calcs/legalities first.
Max nose weight advised by VW and max weight without beingbraked to take into consideration- VOSA will end up using you as a condom otherwise.
Has anyone on here with a 'T4 trailer' measured nose weight ?
All very well posting nice pictures up of various mods to van etc etc for forum users to applaud but sometimes i am SSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooooo glad when i see their location and breath a sigh of relief their death trap isnt going to be near my wife when she has the kids in the car;)

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
Do calcs/legalities first.
Max nose weight advised by VW and max weight without beingbraked to take into consideration- VOSA will end up using you as a condom otherwise.
Has anyone on here with a 'T4 trailer' measured nose weight ?
All very well posting nice pictures up of various mods to van etc etc for forum users to applaud but sometimes i am SSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooooo glad when i see their location and breath a sigh of relief their death trap isnt going to be near my wife when she has the kids in the car;)
it is a good point it has to be right ?????
something to check up on first i think its 3/4 of a ton total weight it has to be braked :ILU::ILU::cool:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why i posted up buddy, want to do it properly as I'm putting four bunk beds in the back for the kids to sleep in..

General, will have a look for that thread you were talking about. Cheers

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
That's why i posted up buddy, want to do it properly as I'm putting four bunk beds in the back for the kids to sleep in..

General, will have a look for that thread you were talking about. Cheers
i will have a brows through and see if i can aswell good luck mate :ILU::ILU::cool:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Vehicl weight and nose weight are seperate issues, check with VW for max nose weight (current transporter range is 100kg)
'Laymans' way is to use bathroom scales and put a piece of wood vertically on the scales and rest tow hitch on it.
Basic physics now - the further the axle is away from the centre the more weight is exerted on hitch.
Sure someone who has built one will have calcs for you.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Charlie, That's a bit clearer now. (Must have been the wood bit lol) Will PM Richard me thinks. His is so nice and was built properly for sure.

Thanks againT:T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Righto,

Thought this was a family forum lol.

Have PM'd Richard to ask if he could shed some light on the subjects and post them up here.

(Don't tell me yer name aint Charlie either lol)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts