VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

T4 1.9 from 2002. European drive.
Problem has lasted several days. Tried to start and the sound is ok, but wont fire at all. Pulled the choke once and I heard just like it was about to kick in but nothing.
- Battery is ok, 12,30 v.
- Solenoid inside the engine clicks, so it should be fine, no?
Experts told me to unscrew an injector and see if diesel would come out. Just a little drop came out, apparently not enough.
So I checked the fuel pump. so I turned the dashboard lit to hear the buzz but nothing. So I checked the fuse box and the fuse is ok.
What could it be?
Should I do further checks on the fuel pump?
Check the glow plugs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Libero

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hello mate.
Could be glow plugs. Mine just went dead overnight fuse was ok. Fine one day no chance the next day. Although mine is 95 2.4. Just used a bit of 'Easy start', quick squirt into the air filter box after turning ignition on and leaving for a few seconds after glow plug light has gone out. Been like this for three months LOL!I: 5 cylinder so haven't got the balls to attempt changing them yet:confused:

·
Registered
375 Posts
it sounds like your glow plug and relay is knackered, it is the one on the bottom right hand corner of the relay board and is numbered 103 but used other numbers as well, so just replace it with the same number thats in yours,regards, bighook*<:)>

·
Registered
406 Posts
...had the same problem this week, turned over fine as usual, but not firing. Had to get a local garage to tow it in, five new glowplugs fitted (they said it was a big job, one was really difficult to remove owing to a big bracket obstructing access) The bill was £261...... They said it looked as if the awkward one was a lot older, so presumably someone didn't do the job properly previously and replaced all five - which would mean more work for the others.
I got the impression that it wasn't a diy job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Could be the immobiliser switch going faulty. This is fixed to the top of the diesel fuel pump. Had the same problem after changing glow plugs. I just replaced the immobiliser with a standard fuel pump solenoid and it solved all the problems.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
firstly your battery is flat (yours 12.3)12.5v means 50%charge and 12.7fully charged, i would charge your battery up make sure all your battery leads are well connected and not lose, next i would too be looking at glow plugs buy some even if you only charge a few to get her started then you know it was that and could do the fiddle one after but make sure you do as its often let out, the choke is not a choke it advances the timing but it should be used when doing a cold start, then check the glow plug really swap with a new one if possible, then i would be looking at 12v power to your fuel pump and immobiliser, if all are ok and it wont start then good luck pmsl

·
Registered
504 Posts
Could be the immobiliser switch going faulty. This is fixed to the top of the diesel fuel pump. Had the same problem after changing glow plugs. I just replaced the immobiliser with a standard fuel pump solenoid and it solved all the problems.
sounds like this i had this prob bypassed the immobiliser and it worked fine!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts