VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i'm a newbie to the forum. i'd firstly like to say hello. I've just started my conversion of my 52 T4 2.5TDi twin slider multivan barn door. I've been following the forum for ideas and have now rust proofed and insulated my van. electrics and carpet next to do.

I'm trying to come up with ideas for where to place the units as i will be putting a rock n roll style bed in (likely down the N/S) and it would be a shame to lose the O/S sliding door. Ideally i would like to have a hob, sink, fridge and some cupboard space.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
evening, welcome to the forum:). we are also newbies, have had an awful lot of late nights since joining the forumH:. the help, advice and ideas are great just need a bigger budget now:eek:. we have a 53 plate swb barn door single slider. just uploaded some pictures of the first few days work. it's totally addictive, don't want to rush it but don't want to leave it alone either!
good luck, have fun.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Cool, I love my twin slider!

Its is a bit of a conundrum in how to convert as you say. Some people use the twin slider bit as rear cupboard access for water/gas.

I opted for using a 3/4 bed (bluebird) and Ikea cupboards. Im currently re-doing my interior but essentially the layout will be the same. The cupboard run starts approx 1ft forward of the door post, as when slid open the door doesnt go all the way past that point. I also moved the 3/4 bed forward by 1ft to make it line up well, give access to the rearmost top cupboard, and make the van area into a diner...it also leaves a gap between the rear door and the bed for things like a bike, or other odd schtuff. (and a gap for your pillows to fall into!) By the way the bedding and seat covers are made from a duvet set. Buy two, and use one cover to make fitted sheet type covers so they all match. A net on the ceiling is also a great place to stash stuff.

I used one cupboard facing forward to hold a cooler 12v box. Above that is a drawer (make sure you fix a latch!) and then I had a Smev combination unit, 2 rings and a sink. I could stand by the open door and cook,which is brilliant, or do it from inside. There is no work top space. and I had to raise the height of the surface by 2-3" to allow for the depth of the hob and sink to fit over the drawer. My new units will have a modern glass topped Smev combo, but with only one ring. They do different 'handed' ones so choose carefully. I only ever used one ring at a time anyway. Just for boiling a kettle or a fry up. There was never enough space to do two rings at a time safely.

I also made a box which I call my 'mezzanine box' which essentially extends the cab floor height backwards for the twin slider. In it I hold by Propex heater and the other 1/2 I use for tools, emergency tins of food and gawd knows what else. Its ideal for me as it stops my feet dangling. And for rear seat passengers they can either put their heels on the box like a luxury foot rest, or put their feet on the floor area..it doesnt get in the way.

I apologise for the state of the van...itw as being used rather heavilly! Well thats what they are for eh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Stridey,

Cheers for the comments the van looks great, i really like the idea of keeping the units along side the bed and being able to cook outside.

Good idea with the mezzanene floor/storage box, does the bed come right up to that when pulled out fully? thinking maybe a could squeeze a buddy box/storage box there as i don't have swivel seats.

I get the van back from the spray shop tomorrow can't wait to see what she looks like!!

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: another question

Stridey,

i've managed to find a plastic step trim for the N/S step would you know where to find one for the O/S as its a smaller step, is that the case with yours?

cheers

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
When bed is pulled out its kinda in line with the edge of the box....but I did move the bed 1ft forwards anyway. Best measure.

Swivels are easy to add, Mine were £100 a side, but I do wish id got the one with a safe built in on one side. They really open up the interior when parked. Stuff gets bunged behind them when camping. Also means 4 people can sit inside in a storm....and Ive often come back to my van to find everyone in them!

The standing up and cooking thing is great....often at events Id just throw open both doors. Put the kettle on and you can reach it from outside. And if you squeeze a fridge where I have my cupboard, its possible to open it and reach in, even though the door opens towards the slider. There are proper fridges that will just fit sideways, but not many...

Hope it gives you some ideas....

As for the step, cant help you, sorry, mine was actually boarded over so the step was boxed in. I have seen someone fit an eberspacher there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Stridey

The conversion looks great. I've just got myself a LWB twin slider and I'm trying to work out how to convert it. I like your idea as this keeps both doors usable.

Which Ikea cupboards did you use on the current conversion and what are you using next time? I'm keen to use a variotech bed as I've had one of these in the past, but would like a similar cupboard layout to yours, maybe with the fridge on the end, similar to the SW Campers kitchen pod if you've seen that.

Are you at any meets soon? It would be good to get a quick look over your van.

Nick

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Im a twin slider man also.
I dont have any units at all because i dont really need em, my van is basically used for everything and anything and is a big car.
At some stage i do want to convert it with a proper bed and units and my first plan was to have some sort of lift out bbq/cooker so you can stand outside the van, would probably have this on the drivers side.
Stridey i think your idea of half units definatly works and looks really good. Will be stealing that one I:T:

Good luck with the build fella. get some pictures up :cool:

On another note
I always thought my twin slider was a bit rare?! Is it?!

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
The units were faktotum (?) from Ikea, but really any cheap ones will do. B&Q&Q&Q do some nice shiny ones right now. Essentially my cupboards are really two cupboards put back to back.

The new layout will incorporate a nice Waeco fridge facing forward (handy as they have a door lock). I will re-do the mezzanine box.

I found this layout worked really well for me, so will repeat on the refurbed van.

feel free to 'steal' any ideas, I dont mind in the slightest.
One thing I do advise is get a net to go above the rear, ideal for bedding etc.

I would rather go the Kitchen cupboard route as if you use your van like I do it will get knocked about a bit.

As for how rare the twin slider is....I dont know. BUT I can tell you I am SO glad I have one! As my friends say, you can arrive like a Helicopter in 'Nam....:D

(Chelten 'nam'....):D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm in the twin slider club too. I also have a half bulkhead which was there when i got the van. At the moment i've made a kitchen module which is 4' wide (it's made out of wood at the moment but i'm looking in to getting a steel frame made for me), it has the sink and hob on it with the fridge underneath. I have it so it is removable and when it's in it sits parallel to the bulkhead across the width of the van. It bolts into a couple of holes in the floor that were already in the van - i think they were there from the factory as they have captive nuts welded in too.

I also have a triple seat in the rear which is on runners and can slide back and forth depending on whether the kitchen unit is in or out and also lays down for a full width double bed. This setup allows me to keep the use of both sliding doors and have three people in the back irrespective of if the kitchen unit is in or out. Personally, i normally have the unit in the garage and only put it in if i know i'm going to need it but it's practical enough to keep in full time if required.

I don't have any pics of it at the moment, but if people are interested i can always take a couple and post them here.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
weve got a twin slider, we went for a removable amdro unit with gas cooker built into it, no sink as yet but I do have one of those teal sinks in the shed that I keep meaning to hook up!!

twin slider, wouldnt be without it now!
weve got a smililar set up the multi van set u (fold down seats with raised part of bed at back, storage underneath). WOrks well for us, we just take the amdro/ cooker unit out when were not on holiday.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hi here is my conversion nicked the lay out form an old bay we used to have as westfailia used to do a conversion for twin sliders, laser cut wood from mdf and then carpeted, the rear cuboard also houses the water tank/ gas bottle

fold out table
[/IMG]

sitting in the back
[/IMG]

sitting in the front
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

seats out of a t25 syncro (frony seat is all way forward in this pic

the rear
[/IMG]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts