VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a down-side to having tyres with a load rating that exceeds the minimum requirement?

My T4 has steel 15 inch wheels and, according to the manual, should have 195/70 R 15 97 S reinforced tyres. The front axle weight is 1350kg and the rear is 1380kg.

I currently have Continental 195/70 R15C with a load rating of 104/102. However, whilst there is plenty of wear left on the rear tyres there is slight bulging in the tread. This is very slight and can only be felt when running your hand around the circumference. I accept that they need changing. I tow a boat on a braked trailer with a combined weight of about 1000 kg. This is well within the train weight of 4500 kg.

I was looking at getting Goodyear Vector 4 seasons with a load rating of 104/102. Would a lower load rating provide any sort of benefit such as lower noise or better fuel efficiency etc?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,186 Posts
Higher load rating means harder/stronger sidewalls.
A lower rating would give a better ride.

They also tend to have harder rubber and create more noise.

Upside is, they will most likely last longer as they are not doing the hard work they were designed for.

Personally, I'd go for the lowest LI that is suitable for your van....so 97 (or 99....depends what is available in the size you want).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Higher load rating means harder/stronger sidewalls.
A lower rating would give a better ride.

They also tend to have harder rubber and create more noise.

Upside is, they will most likely last longer as they are not doing the hard work they were designed for.

Personally, I'd go for the lowest LI that is suitable for your van....so 97 (or 99....depends what is available in the size you want).
Thanks. That makes sense. I guess there's always a trade off between the various qualities such as noise, grip, longevity etc. Low noise is important to me so I'll go for a load rating of 97 or just higher.

The Goodyear tyres I'm looking at are are listed as 4 season and are reviewed as good on slippery surfaces. This quality is useful too for when I use the slipway to launch my boat. Are there any pros and cons of 4 season -v- 2 season?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,186 Posts
"Are there any pros and cons of 4 season -v- 2 season?"

MANY....

"Proper" Summer or Winter tyres use different rubber compound.

"All season" will have less grip in the dry, or wet, in summer, and the same in winter.

Considering you have a contact with the road about the same as 4 adult man's hands....you need all the grip you can get.

In Norway, it's illegal to use summer tyres in winter, and t'other way around.
All season tyres are allowed...and I have them on a Smart Roadster......for the simple reason it goes for it's EU Kontrol (MOT) in November, and has to have legal tyres.
Due to the fact it has a ground clearance of 3" at the front, and we often have at least double that of snow on the roads, it's "garaged" for 5-6 months/yr.
Both my T4 and "her" Smart 450 have 2 sets of wheels/tyres.....in fact just changed both back last week to summer.T:

You also have to think about the weather you've had this year.....and it's only going to get worse!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts