VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help?
I bought some roofbars off ebay - they fit under the lip on the edge of the roof.
I can't get them to tighten up on the lip - has anyone had the same issues, or does anyone have a copy of the original fitting instructions? I bet they're like hens teeth.
I'm off surfing of Sunday so need to get fitted before then!
Cheers, Richard

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,210 Posts
Thule did some that I bought one year.
Maybe check their website so if anything similar fits the same?
They were made "specially" for the shape of the T4 roof, plastic/rubber pads towards the body, and had a LONG screw system to pull them tight. (Screw went from one side to the other, and had to be torqued REALLY tight!)
Even with that done, with a roof box on, driving at up to 200kph in Germany, they tended to move a little and left scratches.
Next year I bought some bolt on roof rails (fit in the "gutter" on the roof) and used Thule AeroBars.
4 holes each side, drilled to the internal strengthening struts, with "penny washers" inside.
Never had a drip of water inside.

From the new pics, you see they put an extra support in the middle...that was MY suggestion!
The guy offered to send me some (VERY helpful), but I'd have to work out a way to fit them.
Didn't matter for me as the 'box is 2 metres long anyway, so mountings are less than a foot from each end.
No problem with them for the next 10 years of use, even with a 100kg load on them. (y)

They also look good without the bars fitted, and make zero noise at any speed.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Do you mean this kind of style? Sorry only photos I really have.
They only clip under the lip, and you screw the bar to tighten and pull them in. They sit on a rubber pad but it still scores the lip a bit :cry:
Honestly not the best design!

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,210 Posts
Yeah, that was the type I had 1st year.....
Gave them away to the guys at Brickwerks when they were doing some work for me when I was in UK!
Bought the bolt on rails and Thule bars whilst I was there!

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,210 Posts
OP, dubnbus hasn't come back, so we have no idea what he really has.

I would suggest getting rid, fitting rails like mine, then fastening the bars to them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys for all of your help. Have decided that the bars I have are not fit for purpose. Think I'll fit roof rails at some point as you suggest. Thanks for the veedubtransporters recommendation GazM - presume you can get bars that are compatible with them?

Just as a point of interest I have managed to hang my surf board inside the van with bungees - I have removed a few of the roof plugs that locate into the roof ribs front and back and got the bungee hooks in there.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts