VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all, I have a VR6 which starts fine, no smoke but after about 10mins, or when warm has a slight misfire...Any ideas?? Thanks J

·
Registered
212 Posts
from my Corrado days I'd guess a hairline crack in the coil pack, or crappy HT leads. Assuming spark plugs are good and the correct ones - VR6 can be fussy about plugs.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
from my Corrado days I'd guess a hairline crack in the coil pack, or crappy HT leads. Assuming spark plugs are good and the correct ones - VR6 can be fussy about plugs.
I would be inclined to think coil packs too. If they haven’t been replaced or not done for a while, I would put in a complete set of coils and plugs. Did this on my T5 and it was just under £150 for the parts (NGK) if you shop around and a couple of hours (you may need to clean up the plug seats).

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, will try new leads and plugs tomorrow and order a coil pack in case that does not fit it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Depending on what is failing, you might be able to pinpoint it.
Wait until its very dark, or in your garage if you have one, get the engine warm til it starts to misfire.
Then open bonnet and look for faint (usually blue) sparks around the sparkplugs, plug leads and coils.
You might also hear a cracking noise as it sparks.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Depending on what is failing, you might be able to pinpoint it.
Wait until its very dark, or in your garage if you have one, get the engine warm til it starts to misfire.
Then open bonnet and look for faint (usually blue) sparks around the sparkplugs, plug leads and coils.
You might also hear a cracking noise as it sparks.
Not sure if that would work. If the T4 V6 head is anything like my T5, the plugs are recessed almost 6 inches into the head and the tops of the coils almost seal the holes.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, found that the coil pack is faulty.. borrowed one from a friend, fitted this morning, no misfire.... new part on order....thank for the help. J.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, looks like a hairline crack....Must open up when warm and cause the problem..As I said no fault when cold...
Thanks for the advice....Next thing though. Swage line on drivers door does not align with the b post...I can't see any evidence of accident damage so must just have fallen over its 24 years life. No signs of paint damage to original door hinges or bodywork. What is the best way to adjust??? Ta

1 - 11 of 11 Posts