VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1720 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hopefully this is of some use to others but I've just bought a new charger to replace the OEM Philips unit that seems to be quite fragile. So far mine has been ok and I took it to bits last year to clean out all the dust and . I found this link on the VW california forum (sorry I:) for a dual output charger that was still compatible with the westfalia control unit.

https://www.fraron.de/en/a-85859176/

Its not a bad price too at just under 200 Euros (without shipping). On mine I've got a little CTEK charger thats linked to the 240v socket behind the drivers seat that comes to live on hook-up so I could free that up and also tie in my auxiliary solar charger to charge the main battery when the leisure one is full.

Its only just arrived and I wont be fitting it till the new year so i'll post again when I know it all works ok T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The springy nub that holds the fridge lid open has suddenly stopped performing its sole function. It still feels springy but the lid will not stay open.

Anyone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello from Canada!

Anyone have a low mileage CE they are looking to sell.
If I had my choice...Elegance Green Metallic. : )

Best regards,
Shawn

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,665
I'm thinking of having a solar panel fitted to my Exclusive. I have neither the tools/facilities nor the know-how to do this myself, so I'm looking to have it professionally installed.

Grateful for any recommendations. Somewhere reasonably close to Sheffield would be good, but willing to travel for someone who really knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a rear rack for a cali exclusive? We have a towball rack for bikes but I want something that fits to the rear using the original fixing holes, so I can put a Thule luggage box on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
sorry... off on tangent.... LEZ zones for europe meandering down to austria/italy via belgium/germany.... will do our best to avoid going into big cities but will use ring roads etc any tips on the various plakettes and places to definitely avoid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
Another tangent to this thread. I'm currently in the north of Spain near Santander travelling slowly back up to Calais and have encountered a problem with the tambour sliding door of the cupboard in the toilet space. It seems to have jammed almost shut with a number of vital items inside (particularly my wife's make up stuff). I've tried everything to dislodge whatever is causing the jam to no avail.
Has anyone had this problem before on here & any suggestions to solving it. The only way I can see to dislodge the bottle (which we think may have jammed at an angle) is to drill a couple of half inch holes through the sliding panel to try to move the obstruction. This will have to wait until we get home in a week or so, however - by which time my wife will be unrecognisable!

Any help will be gratefully received.

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi folks!

I´ve got table issues... Last summer I was disturbed with having 3 tables in my CE, two indoors and one campingtable for outside. My thoughts are now to convert the big inside table, so that it can be used outside.

I know that this questions been asked before in here, but with no replies. So, I try again, a few years later...

My thoughts/plans:
- 4 slim legs that can be folded, and adjusted in length.
- 2 "extensions" on hinges that makes the table wider.

Anyone in here with simliar thought or experiences? Im all in for tips, do´s and dont´s, and so on....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Plastic side details - not black enough...

Hi folks!

I wanna get my exclusive all pimped up for spring season. My front bumper and the plastic "details" (maybe too big to be called details...) on each side behind windows aren´t that black anymore.

I know how to fix the bumper with a heating gun... But do I dare to use that on the other "details" as well?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Re: Plastic side details - not black enough...

Hi folks!

I wanna get my exclusive all pimped up for spring season. My front bumper and the plastic "details" (maybe too big to be called details...) on each side behind windows aren´t that black anymore.

I know how to fix the bumper with a heating gun... But do I dare to use that on the other "details" as well?

Cheers!
I've been down this road with the heating gun and it was a big mistake. You are only taking vital oils out of the plastic and eventually ruining the plastic. I've tired allsorts so far but nothing seems to last. Boiled linseed oil has been the best value so far. But it still needs doing every few months or so. Some bits are too far gone too and really need a good spray.

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Linsseed oil - how did u come up with that idea?
I tried the heatgun method years ago on my Syncro back in the UK but that lasted about 6 months and just faded back. There were loads of posts on the UK facebook groups about it. A lot of people were using "Cherry Blossom" black shoe polish. I'd noticed some folk were using this linseed oil. I bought some for mine back in Norway from Biltema and its done the job fine for now. Its just the corners of the bumpers that still stick out a bit but overall its been good. I've tried loads of other gear too like Auto Glym, back to black, Poorboys etc etc.

http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bygg/Farg-och-Fog/Olja/Linolja-kokt-2000018159/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi John , I’ve a 2002 California Generation 2.5 TDI only made LHD Westfalia , ( the last) don’t know what the exclusives are
but we’ve owned ours (from 6 months old ) till now, we found her in Germany , she’s done now 150k Klms (90k odd miles
and we will never part with her, only replaced discs /pads and a problem with airCon compressor (replaced at no charge by local VW dealer here in Germany) T: will try to post pics when we know how from our pic gallery Ps that’s 16years with no probs!!
All the best to all fans from us guys here between Germany and the UK

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you fit the FraRon unit? How did it go? I have just ordered one as the original philips unit appears to be fried.....
Thanks

Hopefully this is of some use to others but I've just bought a new charger to replace the OEM Philips unit that seems to be quite fragile. So far mine has been ok and I took it to bits last year to clean out all the dust and . I found this link on the VW california forum (sorry I:) for a dual output charger that was still compatible with the westfalia control unit.

https://www.fraron.de/en/a-85859176/

Its not a bad price too at just under 200 Euros (without shipping). On mine I've got a little CTEK charger thats linked to the 240v socket behind the drivers seat that comes to live on hook-up so I could free that up and also tie in my auxiliary solar charger to charge the main battery when the leisure one is full.

Its only just arrived and I wont be fitting it till the new year so i'll post again when I know it all works ok T:

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Did you fit the FraRon unit? How did it go? I have just ordered one as the original philips unit appears to be fried.....
Thanks
Aye fitted it and it works a treat. You just run the new supply lead direct to the leisure battery. Ive still got to wire up the second output that will charge the starter battery. The display on the westfalia display still works perfect.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks re "Ive still got to wire up the second output that will charge the starter battery" Can you use the existing wiring loom?

Aye fitted it and it works a treat. You just run the new supply lead direct to the leisure battery. Ive still got to wire up the second output that will charge the starter battery. The display on the westfalia display still works perfect.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Interesting you mention that. I realised this morning I could tap into the feed to the split charge relay adjacent rather than running a whole new cable the length of the van.
Thanks re "Ive still got to wire up the second output that will charge the starter battery" Can you use the existing wiring loom?

1661 - 1680 of 1720 Posts