VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1720 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello looking at putting a large storage box on the rear of my Exclusive.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is the bike rack standard issue and if so would it take either a Thule Easy Bag or a Fiamma Ultra Box? Or do these need their proprietary holders?

Best wishes

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have a fiamma 500 box on the standard bike rack, adapted fine with the bracket/fitting supplied with the box. Toured France 2 years running with it on with no issues. Stick to the weight limit recommended though and you are not supposed to go over 70 mph but I've been up to 80 on some stretches when necessary ;)

Just like to add that we have our Westfalia California Exclusive up for sale if anyone is interested:-
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/classifieds/vehicles-for-sale/show-adverts/1081/vw-t4-westfalia-california-exclusive-2-5-tdi-manual/manchester/vw-t4-californiahttps://vwcaliforniaclub.com/classifieds/vehicles-for-sale/show-adverts/1081/vw-t4-westfalia-california-exclusive-2-5-tdi-manual/manchester/vw-t4-california

·
Registered
37 Posts

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is the bike rack standard issue and if so would it take either a Thule Easy Bag or a Fiamma Ultra Box? Or do these need their proprietary holders?

Best wishes

Paul

Hi!

I bought a big auminiumbox to fit on the bikerack. Cost me about 90?, instead of appx 400? for a fiamma box. this is the one --> https://www.jula.se/catalog/bygg-och-farg/forvaring/verktygs-smasaksforvaring/verktygslador/aluminiumlada-663008/

·
Registered
62 Posts

Best wishes

Paul

Hi,

I fitted the fiamma 500 to the exclusive bike rack, it works perfectly, you should be able to find a second hand box for around £200 (expensive when new)
The box is great for carrying stuff and is fairly light considering it's size. when I don't need it, I can remove the box in 10 minutes to re-use the bike rack.

The only thing I did was swap round part of the bike rack (5 minute job) so the box sits as flush as possible. I'll put a picture to see what you think

The U-clamp Brackets that came with the fiamma fitted around the bike rack bars perfectly.

I had to drill new holes through the back of the box to line up with the bars of the bike rack, but that's quick and easy, Just sit the box up on the rack (maybe get someone to hold it in place, exactly where you want it. behind the box hold the brackets over the bike rack bars in the four places you want to attach (2 at the top, two at the bottom) and use a marker pen to mark where the holes need to be drilled.

Check and double check you've done this right so you don't drill too many holes :D
I think two of the brackets fitted on a slant, for a better fit.
Use some decent washers on the inside of the box so you can get a firm fit without damaging the box, from memory I may have used rubber and metal washers.

Hope this helps

Happy camping,

Troy T:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi folks!

Now I feel a bit stupid - but how do I change the rear brake light on the left hand side? I have no clue in how to get behind, or losen, the lights...

All help is welcome!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi folks!

Now I feel a bit stupid - but how do I change the rear brake light on the left hand side? I have no clue in how to get behind, or losen, the lights...

All help is welcome!
Solved!

Two beers later - it got way easier.

For every one else - just remove the -tank. And its way easier. Those people at westalia ant that stupid...

Tomorrow we head for Italy! See u on the roads!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Vw Westfalia California Exclusive leaning

Ok, ever since I've owned my california exclusive I've felt like it leaned over towards the drivers side.

The van always wears tyres (front and rear) unevenly on the drivers side, and I can feel the 'pull' to the left when I'm driving, and resistance when turning right.

Has anyone else had this, I assume its because of all the onboard westfalia stuff (fridge, cooker, water tank etc) all being on the drivers side.

Does anyone know how to make it better? is it springs, torsion bar etc?

Thank you for any help :)

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I have bitten the bullet and replaced my Westfalia Exclusive fridge which no longer seems to cool and has suffered badly with yellowed plastic with a INDEL B / Webasto Top loading 41 litre fridge.
https://www.evomotiondesign.co.uk/product/2135/

The original is avilable from Gunzl but at almost double the price!!

Wiring is simple, just two wires but I would like to be able to switch it from the Westfalia control panel; I have found that the orange wire in the 6 pin plug is 12v when the fridge icon is selected on the panel.
Strangely it gives 1 volt at all other times???

Any ideas why or is it fault?

I was thinking that I could use this to trigger a relay but with the permenant 1 volt not sure that it would be ok.

Hopefully someone will have a little more knowlege.

·
Registered
13 Posts
-Double the price ? Where do you find it at "the price" ?

Wish I could find my old pictures, I have an old California Coach with high roof in a picture collection somewhere. Untill that day I took the picture I took it for granted a CC was a tilt top Westie and the CE was the LWB high top Westie.

Alas, ze Germans never made it easy.

On my rig, Roamer, I have replaced burned electrolyte condencators and rebuildt the circuitborard of the infamous 'der Ladegerät', the battery charger & other things it does. So now it workd again. Cost me a fiver (or £7,- if you must know) in parts and 15 min with the soldering iron. Replaced a nonfunctional leisure battrery in May and am about to use it for the first time in a bit.

Heading to Drammen, No for the annual Drammenstreffet, the Drammen meet at Drammen camping. Shoulders low, hopefully more than my T4b Westie there (several T3s are inbound). Oh, well.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I looked at the Gunzl fridge when mine packed it and im sure it was only 600 euro that time. Then all of a sudden its taken a massive jump in price. Maybe they are looking at the forums and checking what we need I:

Great find with that new one. It looks the bees-knees. Keep us posted if you work out how to get the control working for the Westy control unit.

I was looking at fitting a top-loading fridge to my other van. I think the top loaders are better for keeping the coldness within :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts

Best wishes

Paul

I did this with a 300 pound custom rack I had made at a local workshop. Take a look at @vwroamers on Instagram, and there are a few pics of the setup.

·
Registered
97 Posts
very nice photo... I can't carry off such a pleasant picture myself!
Am considering selling my Exclusive 2002 techno blue 2002 but dithering but if anyone hears of anyone wanting one I could be tempted at a reasonable price. when I stop humming and haaaing [email protected] get round to putting it up.
But I draw the line at advertising it in high heels and a wig!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all! :)

Let me start with saying that I am a total noob when it comes to campervans and such. Total beginner. First post on forum. :)

The idea of buying a campervan has been in my mind for some time. I am looking to buy something not too big or bulky since I mostly will be traveling alone.

I have my eyes on a Westfalia California Exclusive from 1996 that has run ~260 000 km (161556 miles) that the seller wants ~15000 EUR for.

Mu first questions to you guys are;
Is the milage on this Westfalia something that I should be concerned about? Imho 260 000 km is quite far.
Is the price on par with other Westfalias being sold? There are very few Westfalias being sold where I am from (Sweden) so I do not have so much to compare with.
Is there some common (and expensive) faults that I should be vary of?

Simon

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hei,

I'm just over the border in Norway (but im english I:). I bought my exclusive in Norway and the price was pretty much the going rate for the rest of europe. The prices seem to be equal for these vehicle nation to nation. Thats not a bad price really. What engine has this one got? (2.4 AAB non turbo or 2.5 ACV (or other)). The mileage you state there is low for the age I reckon.

Its body work to look for me. Sills, front arches and round the front door and fuel filler are the best places to look. Have you got any photos? Check if the fridge works. I had to repair mine but new ones cost almost £1000ish. Make sure the westfalia control panel at the front works too. They are hard to get hold of these days.

Good luck T:

1681 - 1700 of 1720 Posts