VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 03 T4 TDI 1200 SWB with axle weights of approx. 1500kg back and front meaning that i have to have 102 load index tyres to pass the MOT.
I want to put 17 inch alloys with nice tyres to improve look, ride, handling etc. but cannot find tyres to fit with the right load index. The internet is full of 17" alloy/tyre sets and second hand Audi/VW car wheels that would fit but they are all way under the load index rating (92, 94, 98 etc.). With 17" rims the most common tyre seems to be 225/50/17 and they only go up to 98.
What should I do?

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
was in your situation exactly..
1200swb having front axle of 1510 needs a min 99 tyres (all round) to provide 775kg per tyre = 1550axle capability.
you can fit a rim wide enough 8j to take a 235/45 which is close to standard RR and can be found in 99 rating.
or come down to 16" rims and fit 225/55/r16 again in 99 (ive just done this)..
else go upto a 225/55/r17 and accept the +5% increase in RR.

Or downplate via SVTECH the axle ratings and Max GVW but watch your payload allowance.. (visit weighbridge)
i found at weighbridge my unladen weights 930kg to 1130kg (full camper conversion) but realised if i dropped the axle weights down to ~1410kg F&R i would be approaching an overladen condition in regular use - this is why i scrapped the idea and insted moved down to 16" rims..

Or just fit 98 tyres and hope you dont ever get stopped by Vosa / police and found to have 4 tyres under specced, 3points per tyre that doesnt meet the max axle load of the vehicle (irerspective of where its fitted at the time you are stopped).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the MOT? I take it it'll pass with 99 load index tyres? When i type in the weights on the load index table on the tyre shop websites it comes out as 102 (which is what's on there at moment with the original steel wheels with 195/65/16 102)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find any 235 45 R17 with 99 rating anywhere online. They seem to only come in 94 and 97. Any idea where you spotted them?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
what about the MOT?
I can't find any 235 45 R17 with 99 rating anywhere online. They seem to only come in 94 and 97. Any idea where you spotted them?
Hi
there are non in that size any higher than a 97 load index

and MOT wise there is no load rating on class 4 tests which all T4s are T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i need to get a set of 17" audi or VW alloys with 5x112 studs and an offset of ET35-50. Does it matter what dimensions the wheels are (7J, 7.5J, 8J) etc.?

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
sorry 245 width..

MOT does not check load index on class4.

roadside check by police / vosa will use max axle load (as vin plate under bonnet)/2, youre tyres must be above this else its 3 points.

manufactures over spec tyres to ensure safety margin (no doubt cos many will overload vehicle).

Industry standard (and in use in midlands based luxury car/truck manuf) is axle weight/2 +5% sets minimum safe loading.
VW use same and also axle weight/2 +40 (to account for weight diff across axle on campers/coachbuilt stuff)..

·
Registered
405 Posts
245 45 17s are available in 99 load index and run pretty much the same rolling radius if you want to go that little bit higher T:
Good call!!!

Started to look at different sizes, but didn't get as far as that one - dinner over, and a C200 merc on 18's calling my name. I:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've found some 17" x 7.5 audi alloy wheels off an 07 A6 but I don't think you can put 245s on them as the rim might be too narrow. I think the widest tyre they'll take is a 225 from googling it. Should i get 8j rims so they can accept the 245s?

I'm guessing my only option with the 7.5j rims is to go for the 225/55/R17 at 99 and just accept that they won't look that low profile. I'm not willing to run the risk of having the load index below the weight requirement.
Have i got any other options?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found some 17" x 7.5 audi alloy wheels off an 07 A6 but I don't think you can put 245s on them as the rim might be too narrow. I think the widest tyre they'll take is a 225 from googling it. Should i get 8j rims so they can accept the 245s?

I'm guessing my only option with the 7.5j rims is to go for the 225/55/R17 at 99 and just accept that they won't look that low profile. I'm not willing to run the risk of having the load index below the weight requirement.
Have i got any other options?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fair enough - i've been searching the forums and google and can't come up with a solution. That's why i've posted on here...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
U should check the tyres manufacturers guide line for what rim size their rubber is intended for.
Half an inch narrower would not be too bad.

U are sure those A6 rims are good for a LWB?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's an SWB but i'm not sure how to check whether individual rims are load rated for a heavy weight van or not.
Is there a good site to look up part numbers?
I didn't go for the 7.5J rims in the end as i couldn't get the tyres on them i wanted.

·
Registered
799 Posts
erm, if im not mistaken you only need a load index of 98.
1500kg + 1500kg = 3000kg.
3000kg / 4 = 750kg
which is 98 according to this.
there are loads of tyre combinations out there in 98 index. whatever wheel & tyre you get theres nothing worse than having tyres that are too small a profile to get the 'low profile look' as they wont fill your arches and you'll just look like a roller skate. T:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
it's an SWB but i'm not sure how to check whether individual rims are load rated for a heavy weight van or not.
Is there a good site to look up part numbers?
I didn't go for the 7.5J rims in the end as i couldn't get the tyres on them i wanted.
Depends on what U have in mind as I struggle to make sense of U`r posting :*
Maybe U could share some details on the rims of U´r desire

1 - 20 of 29 Posts