VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ami looking for the best place to get t4 steel wheels new, does anyone sell them on here or where would be the best place to get a set Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd like to know this too. Do they come in different sizes and do they have any advantages over alloys (other than cost and scuff resistance)?

·
Registered
118 Posts
T4s came with 14,15 ,or 16 inch wheels depending on type .Dont know the correct ones for your vehicle ,but the type of brakes fitted vary with the wheel size and horsepower and in my opinion they should not be changed .but people have put all kinds of wheels on them over the years ,even from cars ,which dont have the load rating for a van .Sometimes this is just plain dangerous and will probably invalidate insurance .The speedo rating and gearing is of course affected by wheel size .New wheels are available from many suppliers if you can be sure of the correct ones for your vehicle .I am much in favour of steel wheels .So much stronger and able to deal with the roads as they really are .With a C (van) rated tyre ,it is pretty hard to damage a steel wheel ,but pretty easy to buckle an alloy one ! You see wheels on ebay of course ,but you need to know the size .I have recently spent some hours derusting my steel wheels back to bare metal with a knotted wire brush wheel and painting them with Hammerite .Hope they will look ok for a while now as they did look bad .If you look in your Haynes book in the brakes section the type of brake fitted is tied to wheel size or you could ask this forum.Somebody is sure to know .Like everything T4 ,they look the same on the surface but are very different underneath .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T4s came with 14,15 ,or 16 inch wheels depending on type .Dont know the correct ones for your vehicle ,but the type of brakes fitted vary with the wheel size and horsepower and in my opinion they should not be changed .but people have put all kinds of wheels on them over the years ,even from cars ,which dont have the load rating for a van .Sometimes this is just plain dangerous and will probably invalidate insurance .The speedo rating and gearing is of course affected by wheel size .New wheels are available from many suppliers if you can be sure of the correct ones for your vehicle .I am much in favour of steel wheels .So much stronger and able to deal with the roads as they really are .With a C (van) rated tyre ,it is pretty hard to damage a steel wheel ,but pretty easy to buckle an alloy one ! You see wheels on ebay of course ,but you need to know the size .I have recently spent some hours derusting my steel wheels back to bare metal with a knotted wire brush wheel and painting them with Hammerite .Hope they will look ok for a while now as they did look bad .If you look in your Haynes book in the brakes section the type of brake fitted is tied to wheel size or you could ask this forum.Somebody is sure to know .Like everything T4 ,they look the same on the surface but are very different underneath .
[/QUOT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve decided to keep my original steels now and scrape them back and give me a coat of paint.did not have the time to get a new set . just had new tyres fitted Goodyear 4 seasons 70/195 /15

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quite right .You can clean up a steel wheel and it should last almost forever .Had one fail on me a while ago ,when it had actually rusted right through and was allowing air to escape through a pin hole .Never know that before ,but it can happen .

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,693 Posts
If you want them "right", get them powder coated.
Easier job is to use Hammerite....BUT.. BIG BUT , is to heat the metal up 1st!
I once painted a LandRover bumper in the "original" Hammerite, warmed it up with 2 fan heaters, and painted it...
Came out with a "glass-like" finish...and didn't even chip when I removed the back rnd of a Mini on a roundabout.
NORMAL painting gives a tough skin, but it doesn't actually stick to the metal.
You'll never see rust through it, but it will peel off in strips if you try!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I give that a go . With the the paint I will use a heat gun not to much as I have I’ve had the new tyres fitted 🥂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts