VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a t4 2.5 with 48,000 mile and white smoke after star up. Mechanic changed injectors and loom and has given up. Would take it to VW as i used to but this opertation could be costly

any suggestions

·
Registered
564 Posts
Get the Turbo checked mate it might not be, but it could be a sign of the tubo on the way out that happened to my beamer got it in and was lucky if it had gone grey/black you have blown the turbo and will blow all the seals not trying to put a damper on it but check it out bud be safe because it should not be doing that

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hi
When your diesel engine produces white smoke it means that the fuel that was put into the cylinder is not burning properly. It may be because your engine is timing out or it is fuel starved to the pump making the pumps timing not to function properly. It may also be that there is low engine compression or there is water in the fuel

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It proberly is not this but worth a try as its cheap and quick, either see if there is water in the fuel filter, you should be open to let this out with the screw on the bottom of the filter (passenger wheel arch side) or just renew it. I had white smoke a while back almost like thick fog coming from the exhuast and my mechanic told me to renew the diesel filter after I did it run completely clear.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Has it just started? Or been there for a while?
Mine runs fine all year round, then during the cold months.... it bellows cold smoke until the engine warms up. I'm told, this is nothing to worry about, so it might be the same for you - especially if you've just purchased the van?

I purchased mine at Christmas time and the roads ere freezing! I also thought I had a major problem with loads of white smoke. But during the warm months, I get nothing at all. And the white smoke soon passes.

Look out of the back of loads of other cars on the road, plenty of them emitting white smoke during the cold mornings T:

·
6,662 Posts
Is it an 88 or 102 ?

Has the timing been checked and confirmed to be within spec ?

Are there any fault codes ?

Check the coolant temp sensors too before spending too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts