VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All, just bought a 2002 T4 and new to forum, i am trying to work out what it is, in regards being a window van/caravelle? Could anyone point me to where on the forum i could start looking or anyone able to help me out?
I was an air cooled van/bug/ghia owner back in the day so new to T4`s so be gentle with me...... ;o)
Cheers
Rob

Premium Member
Hi, my exAA kombi was classed as a car. It depends how the dealer register with the DVLA. Not sure you can change the class. The body type was down as side windows.

Registered
I would be more in lined to say that鈥檚 a Multivan - seat belts in the rear are typical of the Caravelle and Multivan, but a Caravelle would have carpet in the cabin (and rear), whereas a Multivan has the plastic floor covering in your picture. I also see a table in the rear that may be attached to the side. That is also typical of a Multivan.

What seats do you have in the back?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Afternoon Gents, akdaka, original owner was "& Interiors" so might have wanted a van for work and play? will look into it more when V5 arrives. poffer, see pics attached, they dont match front seats so very confusing! If it is a multivan that would explain all the seat fixings in floor i suppose, bed an addition at some point then? Cheers both ;o)

Attachments

Registered
Wouldn't a 2002 'velle be a longnose?
I've got a Multivan LHD, originally reg'd in Germany. It has carpet in the cab and fabric/carpet on the door cards. Plus all the interior has plastic panels and two speakers in the back.

Registered
That鈥檚 quite a mixture if different fittings you have there. The mount on the back of the driver seat is Multivan, as is the triple rear seat. The mushroom bolts in the floor are Caravelle, but the door and side trims are not.

These vans are a bit like Meccano, so it is possible to add or change anything you want if you are determined. It may have been constructed to suit the previous owner鈥檚 desires from pretty much anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers gents and thanks for the replies, very helpful, i also thought the bed looks wrong for the van, front seats the right ones then for T4?, i did snoop online and there is a buddy seat that would fit behind drivers seat in Germany and a fridge!, but not sure if i want to try to import anything at the moment with all the extra UK charges! ;o) So hopefully rear belts original fitment, i have checked and all fine condition wise so safe to fit child seat which is what i was twitchy about!

Any ideas what year and part number is allocated to the eco moss type filter on photo attached......... ;o)

Attachments

Registered
Had the same mossy lump on another van Rob.
Took the wing off and just cleaned it up.

Seats are right, Inca fabric.

A cheap 12v/220v fridge from Lidl/Aldi will do the trick. The VW originals go for about 100鈧 secondhand here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Philshoz, its off to my mates today for full service and check over as will be my daily, arches to be fettled and sorted next week i hope, and dreaded around windscreen bit, new windscreen seal on order! Glad seats are right, is there anyone who does replacement seat covers or just better to get over covers? Bit threadbare on drivers, passenger is fine. Not sure i want to pay for replacement seats judging by prices online, crikey! Also ordered old/replacement original headlights/indicators as not a fan of the led ones on it, will bung them on ebay or here if anyone fancies them ;o)

Registered
Bit late replying but our 2001 multivan has carpet in the cab and square pattern lino/ hard rubber in the back. A fold out table and 7 belted seats in total...
Your rear seat is similar to ours. But mine has two pull off panels either side of the handle for storage access.
V5 calls it a 'diesel car'. Road tax is a horrible 拢340 ish

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Haphazard, i did think that it looks like bits missing from either side of plastic slide out bit, have had a mooch online with regards to now looking at multivan not window van (says Transporter Kombi K1 on original book) and on researched posts on here, great forum by the way, it would appear that a lot of mix and match went on, lots of bolts but no seats in mine! ;o) I did toy with trying to get replacement buddy seat from germany, but daft money and when i translated reply they said they wont ship to UK anymore?? I found out about the tax the other day, ouch, i was under impression it was 240 a year not 330! nasty! My other daily (Seat) is 20 a year!! But only 7 quid to add to breakdown cover and 150 to insure, but im old now! ;o)

Registered
Yep the price of vw seats is almost as shocking as the road tax. More by luck than judgement ours came almost complete luckily.
If you do find some buddy seats make sure they come with the mounting that bolts to the front seats

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Van still in mates garage getting new brake lines, pads, timing belt, fluids, filters, full service etc because i like to be super safe on new projects and before i stick my son in the thing, so........ define irony, mate phoned up this morning to say no sign of locking wheel nut in with jack, so i confirmed remove and replace with new (has tooling obvs), just received email saying previous owner has found locking wheel socket and do i need it? ;o) all good fun ;o). hoping to get it back by weekend for some cruising and not be stressing about anything going clunk or bang! Solenoids next, van keeps locking me in and doing random locking continuously until i slam door! #walletonfire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Evening all, parcels arriving daily now, budget nearly blown but having fun! Had a mega clean up of every part i could get too (free work wipes and elbow grease!), all engine clips and parts appear to original and in place so looks like well maintained, mega service completed so hopefully should be ok for my daily driver, poked small hole in back arch blister (had to be poked!) but rest all good so hoping for patch for now. Child seat in front, wife has been sent to back of the bus by my son! Soundproofing, thermal stuff and stretchy fire proof carpet and glue on route, aiming to get away when we can in the summer, depending on how many weekends wife allows me in or under van! ;o) Oh, got me a set or original headlights and clear indicators as well so the LED ones will be coming off soon, not quite my thing...... ;o)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts