VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here had air conditioning and managed to fit a Front Mount Intercooler as well?

I have removed the slam panel and grill to have a look at what size intercooler I can fit. The problem is that I have an aircon radiator/heat exchanger in front of my radiator and one of the aluminium pipes runs right to left half way up straight across.

This heat exchanger is about 20mm thick so I'm losing some space there straight away and between the top of the radiator and this alloy pipe is only 150mm. Basically it looks a pain in the ar*e to fit.

Any one managed to fit an intercooler and keep the aircon functioning? It would be handy as summer days are mostly 35c plus here.

If I have to ditch the aircon I have thought about re-routing the alloy pipe but keeping the exchanger and using this as an oil cooler instead T:

Any thoughts or suggestions on options or opinions welcomed

Cheers :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have exactly the same issue with the aircon being in the way.
As far as i could see there was no good way of getting a decent cooler in there, so i've been thinking about mounting it lower down under the bumper beam, it would mean some vent holes in the bumper i think.
width i don't think would be an issue but it couldn't be very tall.
I've not got any further that thinking about it so far, one day i may get under there with a tape measure....

Gavin

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
People mount their FMIC's behind the bumper. This would get around the AC problem.

I looked at my AC equipped van for a few weeks, measured the space, measured IC's in the scrappy, re measured the space etc... eventually i gave up and shelled out the big bucks for a Genuine VW FMIC from the AHY/AXG equipped vans.
These fit because they also include a re designed radiator which moves the whole pack backwards by around 2 inches.
It was not really that pricey, only around 200 euros total including postage. The problem is sourcing the specific radiator as they seem to come up a lot less than the FMIC's. The fan units and AC heat exchanger are the same as the ACV long nose ones though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People mount their FMIC's behind the bumper. This would get around the AC problem.

I looked at my AC equipped van for a few weeks, measured the space, measured IC's in the scrappy, re measured the space etc... eventually i gave up and shelled out the big bucks for a Genuine VW FMIC from the AHY/AXG equipped vans.
These fit because they also include a re designed radiator which moves the whole pack backwards by around 2 inches.
It was not really that pricey, only around 200 euros total including postage. The problem is sourcing the specific radiator as they seem to come up a lot less than the FMIC's. The fan units and AC heat exchanger are the same as the ACV long nose ones though.
Thanks for replies lads. Do you have part numbers for the intercooler and radiator?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have exactly the same issue with the aircon being in the way.
As far as i could see there was no good way of getting a decent cooler in there, so i've been thinking about mounting it lower down under the bumper beam, it would mean some vent holes in the bumper i think.
width i don't think would be an issue but it couldn't be very tall.
I've not got any further that thinking about it so far, one day i may get under there with a tape measure....

Gavin
I have found a cooler 550x140x65mm This will fit height and width but not sure about depth. I have read that others have removed the hinges on the rad which allows the bottom to move back. This might give better clearence, but might have to trim a bit off the grill.
Think I'll re-gas the aircon and see if it blows cold air, if not I will ditch it cos I'm not going to shell out hundreds of dollars on a new compressor etc. Then I can fit a larger cooler.T:
I will get under there and have a measure and post up the size.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts