VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well that was a bit of a surprise. On the Welsh Coast in October I expected to be in warm clothing and wet weather gear and not in the sea playing with the dog in the waves...not complaining though. Cae Du Farm is a gem of a campsite.

The first evening

Left the curtains open and not a bad view to wake up to

The wind from the day before dropped and it just kept getting warmer

And warmer

On the final evening, after dining on the farm’s own lamb burgers, we sat in front of the campfire picking out the constellations in the star filled sky before suddenly realising the Milky Way was directly overhead, first time I have seen it in years. I will admit, that evening will stay with me for a very long time.

As we were bidding our hosts farewell the first spots of rain started to fall, 5 minutes on the road and the ‘heavens opened’.

Sorry, I know it has been a huge deviation from the build thread but I thought I would share these as a reminder of why we keep pouring money into these metal boxes. If you have never been to Cae Du then I would certainly add it to your To-Do list

A change of plan. I was originally going to overhaul the cab next but going to tackle the cupboard carcasses instead and want to have the bed box sorted before a final trip of the year down to Uphill in November. Let the work recommence...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
First job, construct the bed box itself

Blimey that’s a tight fit, had to grease it to get it in but at least it wont be going anywhere. Cables will be run through the partition.

The O/S will be used to store chairs, windbreak, hookup, BBQ etc but won’t be closed in so only needed to box in the legs and make a top. The O/S will be used to store tools and cutting the top for this side was a bit fiddly, a template for the profile of the corner and then a lot of awkward measuring for the the bed itself.

And then I realised this wouldn’t be able to go in until the bed is moved. Right, temporary top for this side from offcuts it is then. The front (or should that be back) was cut out, used a sliding door to hide the consumer unit. And loaded up....

On the front I have blocked off the ends and the centre will be turned into a clothes drawer when we return from Weston. Doesn’t look like we are going to be short of storage once the cupboards go in (fairly sure I have not missed anything obvious)

I’ve also added a temporary 240V socket and a voltmeter for the last trip of the year. The plan for the winter is to get the rest of the carcasses in, carpet the back and sort the cable runs.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Nice job so far, RSV, well done.T:
And the happy smiling faces in the back of the van must surely make it all worth while....A:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good stuff man, I’m a new t4 panel van owner myself and I’ll be doing pretty much what you’ve done . Well done you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks guys. It was a single B&Q roll with plenty dumped in the wheel arch boxes.

Had a bit of a rethink over the winter (as well as other things getting in the way) and not made the progress I was planning. Want to make sure I get the setup right for us so decided to build a rough prototype and then see what changes can be made to improve it before the final build.

Right, the bed drawer. Cut the base in 12mm and fitted the runners.

And the sides in 9mm

On to the carcasses for the cupboards

...but having drawers rather than cupboards so the runners and bases next.

The drawers were made in two different depths to allow for the depth of the cooker/sink (eventually) and tarted up a bit even if they are only temporary, just wanted to get a feel for the look.

Fitted the front and a temporary worktop and could start to get ready for the first trip of the year ....and yep there are modifications to be made. And talking of those smiling faces in the back.

Yessss, good job I have the buddy box even if it has no padding at the moment, but at least somebody has adapted very easily to the campervan life....she even insists on coming in with me when I am just working in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Next job, side of the wardrobe which will (eventually) have a tambour door.

With an essentials (basically coffee and chocolate) cupboard next to it

And some temporary electrics

Up next a weekend at Wing Hall and then starting to carpet the roof and walls.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Two cables (TV & poptop lights) were run across the roof and then the top could be prepped for lining. Sealed with PVA and tape run across the joins and screw heads.

Used a silver brushed nylon headlining for the roof to match that already in the poptop. Decided to start in the back and work forward, remembering to leave an overhang for the shelf.

Lined the inside of the vent

Carpeted the cubby hole next before we got a dry spell at last and was able to spray the next big piece

Carpeting was stuck to the front of the shelve and cut for the cubby hole.

Carpeted the floor of the shelf and drilled it for the electrics.

This was then refitted and sealed before the carpet was run underneath to finish behind the door seal (this seal will be replaced when I carpet the walls as it has seen better days) and the electrics wired in (not connected up yet).

Finished off the last 2 bits headlining and started carpeting the hatch at the cab end, wrapping it around the wood.

For the other three sides, edging strip was carpeted and the strip attached using a brad nailer...simple, quick and instantly hidden. The nailer come in for a lot of use fixing the roof in place.

The overhang could then be run up through the hatch.

And the finished roof

Well except for the edging strips and the front bit and the mount for the TV....but more on all that later. Time to get it cleaned for going away and then I have been informed I need to tackle the garden for a bit.

Lesson learnt: carpet is far more forgiving than headlining to work with!

I would also say make sure you have a supply of brush on adhesive as well as the spray. I have got through over 500ml to this point, but then there are lots of small areas, angles, joints etc

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Back in Wales again and going up the coast. Stayed at Shortlands Farm, very nice campsite, but reading one the reviews I had to laugh as it said ‘A sea view, while drifting off to sleep is also rare’...it’s actually about 3/4 miles in the distance. Back to our old friend Cae Du, this is what I call a sea view

Mrs Biff said “Wish we were staying here the rest of the week”...looks like we’ll be back in October.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wanted something a bit different for the lighting, a self-adhesive warm white LED strip concealed behind the pop top frame for the first part. The second bit will be a light box above the wardrobe later on.

TV time. We are both iPadders but still fancied a flipdown TV. Only one problem, they seem to be getting very thin on the ground and those that are around are either the wrong size (too big) and/or hideously expensive. Plumped for a monitor with a chargeable iPhone speaker, a Bush Freeview receiver (handy being 12V) and a magnetic digital antennae (cheap but has excellent reviews so worth a try). Yet another prototype to work out how it fits together.

A piece of ply was screwed to the batons in the roof and sides dropped down. Temporary switches for the TV and pop top light were put in. The supply for the TV will power the monitor, Freeview box, speaker (via a USB charger), and a small cooling fan and temporarily runs off the same supply as the 12V socket (couldn’t be bothered to run another cable at the moment to be honest). The monitor cable is a pain. I hate messy wring but I don’t think there is much choice here, a lot of cables in a very tight space...going to have to try and tidy it up in the final version.

A piece of ply to mount the monitor was shaped and a hole cut for the speaker.

The monitor bracket fitted.

Another hole in the roof, a cable gland and silicone.

The aerial will normally sit here when the van is in use and the slack in the cable means it can be moved around if needs be. When we aren’t using the van it can be stored beneath the top.

Well, the visual bit works, just waiting for the speaker stuff to see if we have sound.

And that cheap aerial? We don’t live in the best TV reception area (the house signal has to be boosted) but this is reading 100% wherever it is plonked, even tried ‘hiding it’ behind the top and hinges. It will certainly be tested in the Lakes later this year but so far impressed.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Fantastic build thread A: The craftsmanship looks great along with the attention to detail.

Waking up in the morning to the ocean is one of the main reasons I bought my van, still yet to it but one day :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks, it’s amazing how many mistakes you can make and hide 😉

There is nothing like waking up next to the sea, a couple more from that holiday

Shortlands Farm (this was the one in the review, very nice site but a little disappointing as I had meant to book Tycanol Farm, whoops!)

Nant-y-Big

When we were in the sea with the dog at Nant-y-Big on the final day (the week was much brighter than it looks in the photos) a pod of Bottlenose dolphins decided to put on a display barely 20 yards from us, just before I got stung by a jellyfish....again! One more coastal campsite to come this year.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Looks great mate, dolphins must have been amazing to see and that close too! Shame about the jelly fish, when I was in Aberdyfi the beach was covered in them, had to be so careful walking in bare feet! :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yep, the Cardigan Bay beaches were covered in them (think they might have caught the dog out a couple of times).

Bit more carpeting, the N/S wall. Everything cleaned up, taped and masked

Started from the bottom and worked up.

Started to trim the excess

The pillar for the back door was tackled next

The top of the wheel arch covered

Trimming around the side door was a tad fiddly.

Decided to carpet the vent.

More edging strips run up and attached with the brad nailer.

I think that is the trickier wall completed (except the door). Work stops for a bit now as we have a weekend away before the trip to the Lakes and then a final outing of the year to the Gower.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got to admit it certainly feels better and will be good to get the other side done to finish the effect (just need to get the holidays out of the way first :))

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
It does indeed. I've got 10sqm at home ready to cover up the remaining white area on the doors, going to be a lot of masking to get a good finish. Will be worth it though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I’m just trying to work out the best way to do the wardrobe/storage box and back area...think I’m going to need a load of brown paper & masking tape! It’s a bit like working on a giant jigsaw puzzle at times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
When I booked the trip to the Lakes I gaffed, I actually booked it a week later than I meant to. This did turn out to be quite fortuitous though as there was a brief period of rain on the Saturday night as we were turning in and a couple on the Sunday morning but from Sunday lunchtime on we did not see another drop. Was this really the Lakes?

First stop, Low Wray on the shores of Windermere. This is the very spot where it all started for us a couple of years ago in a ropey, hired T2. Liow Wray is a big NT site offering five different types of campervan pitches, our ‘fave’ is down by the beck.

And 2 mins walk to the lake itself.

After a couple of nights we moved on to the NT site at Wasdale. No doubting the setting is magnificent

But the view from the van was less inspiring.

After one night of tedium we cut our losses and moved back to Low Wray for a couple more nights before ending the holiday at Side Farm on the banks of Ullswater. This turned out to be our Cae Du of the Lakes.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts