VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
It is a lot of money ...(but i havent seen the van ).
It sounds like someone has shown it a lot of love and spent a few quid .
Mileage is very good.

Personally the age of the vehicle would put me off buying a t4 for that kinda money and building something individual to youself is much more appealing.

But whether this van youve seen is 'worth' its asking price is anyones guess .

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It is a lot of money ...(but i havent seen the van ).
It sounds like someone has shown it a lot of love and spent a few quid .
Mileage is very good.

Personally the age of the vehicle would put me off buying a t4 for that kinda money and building something individual to youself is much more appealing.

But whether this van youve seen is 'worth' its asking price is anyones guess .
I've attached a picture of the van 馃憤

Premium Member
That looks really cool mate. He has probably spent best part of 8k, paint job and camper fit out. Its a lot of money and I'd want underneath it 1st, these things rust, trust me on that!

I'd need to know everything was spot in mate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That looks really cool mate. He has probably spent best part of 8k, paint job and camper fit out. Its a lot of money and I'd want underneath it 1st, these things rust, trust me on that!

I'd need to know everything was spot in mate.
Looking at previous mot's, there is not even a mention of surface rust, as far as I can go back. I'm going to view it sometime next week cause its having "cambelt, etc" done.
Anything other than rust underneath to look out for? Thanks

Registered
its had a full respray and been kitted out brand new with all the proper units (sink, hob, fridge) new rock and roll bed, leds in ceiling, new carpet ect.
hummmmmm.....

the cynic in me wonders whats hidden behind the paint (remember t4's rust....)
also, as its " been kitted out" you cannot inspect the interior frame / floors inner wheelarches etc. :unsure:
consider this, would you pay 2k for filler & paint OR would you pay 'xyz拢' PLUS 2k for filler & paint if trying to maxiise profit on a 'van'o_O

obviously I'm going to be wrong & it's an honest clean van....

Looking at previous mot's, there is not even a mention of surface rust, as far as I can go back
only works for honest mot testers, I've seen a few 'clean' mot histories & the vehicles in question had 'postal' mot's:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Anything other than rust underneath to look out for?
rust........

everywhere........

look on ebay / jk etc. at the different 'repair' panels available:eek:

as an aside, if you buy this van & in a few years it needs welding, consider the work involved if the interior needs to be removed (as extra hours 拢拢 labour) on top of the bill...

and, those t5 styled sliding middle windows can 'whistle' / leak (as aftermarket quality, hell, even genuine vw items do this & they should be high quality:rolleyes: )

Rich.(have welded a few t4's...................................)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
hummmmmm.....

the cynic in me wonders whats hidden behind the paint (remember t4's rust....)
also, as its " been kitted out" you cannot inspect the interior frame / floors inner wheelarches etc. :unsure:
consider this, would you pay 2k for filler & paint OR would you pay 'xyz拢' PLUS 2k for filler & paint if trying to maxiise profit on a 'van'o_O

obviously I'm going to be wrong & it's an honest clean van....

only works for honest mot testers, I've seen a few 'clean' mot histories & the vehicles in question had 'postal' mot's:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rust........

everywhere........

look on ebay / jk etc. at the different 'repair' panels available:eek:

as an aside, if you buy this van & in a few years it needs welding, consider the work involved if the interior needs to be removed (as extra hours 拢拢 labour) on top of the bill...

and, those t5 styled sliding middle windows can 'whistle' / leak (as aftermarket quality, hell, even genuine vw items do this & they should be high quality:rolleyes: )

Rich.(have welded a few t4's...................................)
Spot on, thanks for the reply. I am going to view it this week, will get a few photos of around the van and post on here to see what people think, he says he has photos of it stripped back to bare bones to be repainted, so will ask for them. Any way of telling if its been painted over and filled?

Registered
if this helps...

my '95 t4 was 'clean'

after poking at some lumps that I disliked in the seamsealer (vw genuine) on the rear loadspace floor, I eventually welded 21 patches in place of rust that I'd cut out o_O
If I'd known this before I'd welded the 5th or 6th patch I'd have welded in a whole new floor (oddly enough it's 8'x4' so a standard steel sheet will sort it)

a lot of rear floor rot is hard to see from the mot testers 'ramp'...

remember, testers can only test what they can see...

age means nothing, 2003 vans also rot but my 'favourite' years as doomers are 1996-1998 as for some reason they can disolve(n)

I'm cynical because I've seen these issues:confused:

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
if this helps...

my '95 t4 was 'clean'

after poking at some lumps that I disliked in the seamsealer (vw genuine) on the rear loadspace floor, I eventually welded 21 patches in place of rust that I'd cut out o_O
If I'd known this before I'd welded the 5th or 6th patch I'd have welded in a whole new floor (oddly enough it's 8'x4' so a standard steel sheet will sort it)

a lot of rear floor rot is hard to see from the mot testers 'ramp'...

remember, testers can only test what they can see...

age means nothing, 2003 vans also rot but my 'favourite' years as doomers are 1996-1998 as for some reason they can disolve(n)

I'm cynical because I've seen these issues:confused:

Rich.
Putting doubts in my head now馃樀. He said it was all panels removed and painted. Sorry if it seems your going in circles. I'll see if he has any photos of the shell before it was resprayed. Thanks for all the info, hopefully a solid van 馃

Registered
If he's had a quality respray, circa 拢5000, plus all the best fittings he's probably not going to get his money back on it.Check the pre respray photos through. I must have spent around 拢9000 on my van and did all the work myself and that didn't include a respray. Plenty of **** vans around for silly money but to do them properly costs.

Premium Member
Thats a tidy looking T4, probs worth the 拢11k just for the parts and paint. Like other have said as long as its not hiding anything sinister.

I gave up trying to guess what transporters are worth, i think there worth what someone is prepared to pay. Some T4 nut might snap your hand off for this even at 拢11k which could get you a pretty good T5 base van.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thats a tidy looking T4, probs worth the 拢11k just for the parts and paint. Like other have said as long as its not hiding anything sinister.

I gave up trying to guess what transporters are worth, i think there worth what someone is prepared to pay. Some T4 nut might snap your hand off for this even at 拢11k which could get you a pretty good T5 base van.
Looking to buy this 馃樁, I'm not the one selling 馃ぃ

Premium Member
Spot on, thanks for the reply. I am going to view it this week, will get a few photos of around the van and post on here to see what people think, he says he has photos of it stripped back to bare bones to be repainted, so will ask for them. Any way of telling if its been painted over and filled?
A magnet doesn't stick to filler.

Registered
Yeah Jc1 bang in 馃憤 was going to post get a magnet wrap in a thin cloth and start manuvering it around the hot spots for rust arches sills etc....

Registered
To be honest if the seller really has bare metal pictures that will show most of the issues on arches and doors so just the underside to worry about, but if someones gone to the effort of a bare metal respray it wont be a cheap job to hide problems.
Looks a nice van from the 2 pics you have posted tho

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Registered
Even in this climate these vans are pulling good money, my mate has just sold his 2.5 manual 1998 with a cheap respray that's okay at a distance and a camper conversion for 8500 had it advertised at 9500 and sold it in 2 days to the first person who contacted him, with these vans it's not what it's worth it's what someone's willing to pay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts