VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The point to remember is that these vans are all 17+ years old now so there MAY be rust here and there but it doesnt mean to say it will definately be there! My van has laquer peeling on the top, front wing edges rusty etc which have had metal paint put on them to and it looks a right mess but underneath it is as solid as a rock with just surface rust which i keep on top of. My mates van is also solid as a rock underneath.
They will rot if not cared for (like any vehicle) but they are slightly more forgiving than most other vans of the same age and newer so you do have longer to sort that little rust spot and most repair panels are available so if the worst does happen and you end up having to sort a previous owners bodge then you are covered. This one looks very clean but look at the chassis carefully as I have seen ones that are clean as whistle on the top but no time has been spent on the underside and structual stuff

They are good vans and I think I would be more worried buying a 10 year old T5 to be honest as they rust a lot more than the T4 under all those plastic covers. I have seen many 10 year old and newer T5's with rust worse than a lot of T4's double their age!

The oldest T4's are now 29 are there are still a fair few of the first ones around so it will be interesting to see how many 29 year old T5's remain!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts