VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a new member here, and looking for some advice!

Been to look at a 93 2.4 (non turbo) caravelle auto today with 120k on the clock. I'm basically looking to buy it as a mini bus to do airport transfers in the alps this winter. I've heard a few things about torque converters in the gear box playing up, and wondering if I'm likely to get any issues climbing, when fully loaded with 8 punters, luggage and ski's/boards!

I know the climb'll be slow, that's not an issue, it'll give me more time to work on my tip! I: but will the gearbox hold out with a long steep and winding climb, after it's already been on the road for a good 2 hours?

Thanks in advance for any advice! T:

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
No experience of auto's but I wouldn't think a 20 year old van would be the way to go, you could have some very disgruntled people if you cost them holiday time with a smoking van at the side of the road!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I enjoy driving our automatic but I would find it frustrating to continually take it up and down steep hills, personally I think a manual gearbox is more suited to that sort of environment. For one, when driving a manual vehicle with a steep incline coming up you can anticipate this by building up some speed, changing down to accelerate up the hill, whereas an automatic won't do that and will eventually change down but far too late. There is also the fact that an automatic will change up a gear when accelerating downhill so instead of engine braking you are going to hammer the brakes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
if you get caught doing unlicensed transfers in France they wont just let you away, they regularly stop transfer services / anything like that and some paranoid folks might say if you have a UK number plate you are 2x more likely to be stopped, and you will take twice as long as other folks getting up hills in a 2.4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Thanks for all of the advice, not been on for a while as I've been searching for the bus, happy to say last night I drove home a 02 2.5 tdi in long wheelbase flavour, miles are a bit high at 218k, but I realy don't think this is a worry looking at other posts on here................. it's a manual, looked into the whole oil cooler angle, but decided the auto was just too much of a risk! I'll be covered under the banner of a chalet company if pulled, but to be fair, the only time I was pulled last season doing the same thing was for speeding (oops), so disagree with the regular pulling from my experience, but I guess I could have just been lucky! Rasp: the bigger problem was at Geneva due to the disgruntled taxi drivers having a protest, and generally throwing they're toys out of the pram! thanks again to all, for the first time ever, I'm actually looking forward to the long drive down there in the new toy A:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts