VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had a flashing coil light come on, plus the engine management light - ran a check on VCDS and tried to clear but it came back right away, so tried Carista too and same problem.

A shortened version of the VCDS output:
4 Faults Found:
4911 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor; B1 S3
P242A 00 [175] - Malfunction
4912 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 Bank 1
P246E 00 [175] - Electrical Malfunction
5257 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor; B1 S3
P242A 00 [175] - Malfunction
5258 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 Bank 1
P246E 00 [175] - Electrical Malfunction

Van is a 2012 T5.1 Sportline (2.0 Bi-Tdi 180BHP)

Looking under the van the issue became clear (should have done that before I wasted time reading and erasing codes)! Wires aren't meant to be dragging on the road with nothing attached :)
Not sure how this has happened to be honest, was fine the day before, perhaps an animal decided to have a root around.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Automotive tire Sleeve Rim Automotive design Bumper

Now I'm a bit confused (and not mechanical I'm afraid!), there are 2 plugs I'm unsure of, one hanging down with the brown socket on the end (I think that's actually the plug to the missing end of the wire, and also there is a wire hanging down onto the road.

I can also see a sensor with a broken wire.
Presumably I need a new sensor, can anyone provide the part number for that?
Which plug would the sensor attach to?
What does the other plug attach to? I can't see anywhere obviously missing a wire.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The brown plug hanging down should mount at the top of the same bracket that the black plug is still attached to. Looks like something has snagged or damaged the sensor cable somehow.
It's only two wires so you should be able to solder them back together and add some heatshrink over the join to protect it from the elements rather than replace the whole sensor. A new sensor is about £45 upwards depending where you shop though.
I replaced sensor 3 on mine a couple of months back - have a nosey at my build thread here (page 11). Mine's the 2.0 single turb but the EGR sensors will be the same.
Sensor 3 is pre DPF further towards the front of the engine. From the pics it looks like the one you've got with the snapped wire would be sensor 4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brown plug hanging down should mount at the top of the same bracket that the black plug is still attached to. Looks like something has snagged or damaged the sensor cable somehow.
It's only two wires so you should be able to solder them back together and add some heatshrink over the join to protect it from the elements rather than replace the whole sensor. A new sensor is about £45 upwards depending where you shop though.
I replaced sensor 3 on mine a couple of months back - have a nosey at my build thread here (page 11). Mine's the 2.0 single turb but the EGR sensors will be the same.
Sensor 3 is pre DPF further towards the front of the engine. From the pics it looks like the one you've got with the snapped wire would be sensor 4.
I guess so, quite annoying! It was MOT'ed Friday though so at least it happened after (though I can't help but feel there is a correlation). My thinking is that one got snagged and ripped the other one out with it, destroying the cables for both sensor 3 and 4 - just my luck!
I've bought a couple of cheap sensors on eBay (about £30 a piece) which I 'hope' are the right part numbers (someone on the T6 forums gave me a diagram with some part numbers, and I've just been on eBay and bought what I could find cheap) - plan to see how easy it is to remove the existing sensors (assume they'll be in there fairly solid after so long!) and if I can't then will try to pinch the wiring/plugs from the new sensors and solder to the old. If it doesn't work out I'll see about getting some OEM ones from VW, just didn't want to pay their prices if I could avoid.

Your thread gives me hope, as that's the sensor that I was wondering how to get at the most, the other one (post-DPF) looks relatively straightforward once the van is jacked up.

Thank you so much for your time responding, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
They're both pretty easy to remove to be fair (assuming you can use a spanner 😁 ) just the one pre-DPF is a fiddle to reach but if you're patient it'll come out easy enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're both pretty easy to remove to be fair (assuming you can use a spanner 😁 ) just the one pre-DPF is a fiddle to reach but if you're patient it'll come out easy enough.
I appreciate your confidence in me :D

It doesn't look hugely fun to get to the pre-DPF, but I have patience (and more importantly, am too tight to pay anyone to do it for me!) so hopefully it'll be alright. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go next week, probably just in time for the rain to come back!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to come back and thank you @64 SPLIT - the job was quite easy with your thread as a guide, only real difficulty was trying to find somewhere to use a trolley jack to lift the van! Took around 15 minutes to swap the sensors out and the van is running fine again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts