VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here looking for some advice, thain advance for any comments.

I have a 2004 1.9 (AXB) which is having issues with overheating. The following has already been ruled out:
Water pump
Thermostat
Radiator

The van is currently in a garage and the guys there have said the coolant system is completely blocked, thus no flow. They have tried clearing the system and cannot progress any further and have advised that I look to replace the engine.

Could this blockage be cleared some other way? Would there be any benefit in splitting the engine?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this mate with overheating and pressure building in expansion tank. It was head gasket in the end. New water pump with metal vanes head skimmed new oil pump and other bits. Also my heater matrix was blocked and a new one fitted although tbh I think they just blasted it out but its hidden so i couldnt check. Wouldnt need a new engine surely unless it's really high mileage and **** in the coolant chambers and pipes but that's rare surely?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.
the van has done just over 200,000 miles and there was evidence of some **** in the coolant pipes (it’s the mrs van and she used to just add water to the system). So it might be that the engine is past its sake by date.
what were the symptoms of your heater matrix being blocked? From memory, the couple of occasions I drove it in the winter it took an age to warm up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Taking ages to get warmed up can be the symptoms of a missing thermostat.

How much do you trust the garages diagnosis?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that’s the reason why I’ve asked on a forum. The skeptic in me thinks it would be better for the garage to replace the engine.
mom just trying to work out if it’s financially viable to spend that much money or just call it quits. Engine circa £1500 plus fitting, is it worth it (it’s just a big standard van, not converted) On the other hand, if I can sort the issue without replacing the engine, then I will keep on trucking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts