VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My clutch pedal has no traction and doesn’t work, I am hoping it’s the master cylinder, but I can’t remove the clutch pedal, the van is a 2011 transporter, I have removed the 2 bolts and the bracket support, is there another bolt in the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If I remember there is a bolt hidden in the plenum chamber but it was a long time ago since I did the job. There is a lot more to changing the master cylinder after unbolting it (complete with the pedal box bracket). There is a clever spring arrangement that has to be dismantled. Unless you have confirmed that there is a fluid leak at the point where the master cylinder rod enters the master cylinder rubber cover, I wouldn't bother. Check the pipework all the way down to the slave cylinder for leaks. It is more likely to be the slave cylinder if no other leaks are visible.

If the leak is very slow you can top up and bleed for a temporary fix.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If I remember there is a bolt hidden in the plenum chamber but it was a long time ago since I did the job. There is a lot more to changing the master cylinder after unbolting it (complete with the pedal box bracket). There is a clever spring arrangement that has to be dismantled. Unless you have confirmed that there is a fluid leak at the point where the master cylinder rod enters the master cylinder rubber cover, I wouldn't bother. Check the pipework all the way down to the slave cylinder for leaks. It is more likely to be the slave cylinder if no other leaks are visible.

If the leak is very slow you can top up and bleed for a temporary fix.
Yes there is a sneaky bolt hidden in the plenum chamber.

It might be worth trying to pressure bleed the system, just to see if it has any effect upon the pedal operation.
If you replace the master cylinder you'll have to pressure bleed the system anyway.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
DSCN3117.JPG

The bolt you are looking for also acts as a fixing for the wiring loom that runs across the plenum chamber.
The bolt is the one directly above where the two arms cross in the picture above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, a little gutted, I only changed the wiper motor 2 weeks ago, I was really hoping to see damage in the master cylinder, the slave cylinder is gearbox out repair. Massive help though guys, cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressure bleeding, is that where I purchase an oil can and pump it from lower levels, or is there an easier way to bleed it?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Pressure bleeding is the way to go to be sure the system is bled correctly, especially when components are replaced.
If the system is air free, then the normal press pedal down, open bleed screw, allow fluid to escape, close bleed screw & finally release pedal procedure can be used to change the fluid. This takes two people though to carry out.
With a pressure bleeder you replace the reservoir cap with one with a pipe fitting in. You then attach a pipe to it from your pressure vessel & pressurise the whole system. When you open any bleed screw now the fluid is forced out, (providing the vessel is pressurised). It's also a one man operation !!
You need to ensure you do NOT over-pressurise the system, especially one with ABS/Traction Control fitted. I would say no more than 10psi is OK, but you should check with the vehicle manufacturer first to avoid any possible damage.

Sealey make these kits & from memory they are quite inexpensive in the great scheme of things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for helping me out, nothing changed yet or unplugged, no pressure in clutch, where would I find he bleed screw? 2011 t5.1 2ltr 6 speed, 140bh
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I'm lucky in that my clutch slave cylinder on my 2005 1.9 is on top of the bell housing so no need to remove the gearbox to change it. To access the bleed screw I take the near-side front wheel off & reach in through the inner wheel arch to get to it. You have to do it more by feel than looking at what you're doing !!
I'm guessing your bleed screw will be somewhere similar. It will be a case of searching around the bell housing until you locate it. Sorry I can't be more specific than that !
From what I've read on this forum when the slave cylinder starts leaking you often get a weep from the bottom of the bell housing, (but not always visible).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm lucky in that my clutch slave cylinder on my 2005 1.9 is on top of the bell housing so no need to remove the gearbox to change it. To access the bleed screw I take the near-side front wheel off & reach in through the inner wheel arch to get to it. You have to do it more by feel than looking at what you're doing !!
I'm guessing your bleed screw will be somewhere similar. It will be a case of searching around the bell housing until you locate it. Sorry I can't be more specific than that !
From what I've read on this forum when the slave cylinder starts leaking you often get a weep from the bottom of the bell housing, (but not always visible).
Cheers again, bloody rain restricting me laying on floor, but massive help, thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts