VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The idea is to be able to see everything that's going on in the van and maybe control things like lighting direct from my phone over wifi. Then, if I get a mobile dongle, I would be able to do this remotely too.
This all got triggered by wanting an indication of when the EHU is connected up. The simple solution would be to have a light, but thats either going to be too bright at night or too dim to see in full sunlight.
As with a lot of things, you can buy something for lots of $$$$ that sort of does what you want, or put something together that's just a bit different and does exactly what you want (and probably costs even more $$$$$$$$$$$$!)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ha I knew all the Oz experience would fold back mate , great tip on the pan of water and the CO detector ...the latter already bought and waiting. The former penny would have dropped with actual use, but how long might that take? The more I pondered the Wallas the more it became my first choice bar the obscene price, that's a lot of 50p's on one's knees... I suspect it took around 18months from awareness to purchase.........

so..................

No probs with being slow mate you are talking to a tortoise, well ya know that :D

I second H's ask on the control thingy... utterly essentail item ... prey tell

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ha! there are so many things you learn when you actually live in the van full-time. Cooking, especially with a diesel cooker is completely different to normal home life. So is day to day living in the van. Where do you put your outside table and chairs at night because it WILL RAIN. How many days your water supply will last. How much water for tea/coffee in the morning (tap on full for 7 seconds). It goes on and on!
Most important bit. Fill the fridge with beer (or your favourite tipple) in the morning.

The control panel
Lots of ideas which will come out as I think of them and get round to it, such as
  • Inside and outside temperature.
  • Starter and Leisure battery voltage monitoring.
  • Time (because we always want to know the time)
  • EHU connection state because being plugged in does not mean it's actually live
  • Leisure battery charge status (is it charging or not)
  • Warnings if anything being monitored fails
  • Programmable lighting - colours and brigtness according to the mood
  • Remote control and monitoring via the web (assuming I have an internet connection in the van)
  • Van Level measurement - so I can see how level we are without getting out of the drivers seat
  • Gas level (would be nice but not sure if this is possible easily)
That's a pretty good list for the moment. WIll have to see how much longer (or shorter) it gets. First decision - touch screen or not?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thank you buddy....funny part of why I didn't want gas on board was meeting a couple somewhere deep in the wolds that had spent months touring EU in their red T5, At one point they simply couldn't find anywhere to get a bottle of gas.. That was sort of the clincher for me. I grafted out the wallas nearly a year back and it's still unused, much to learn.

I carry a liittle colemans petrol stove Andy it's a little diamond for a damn quick cuppa, I use it at work pretty much go everywhere with that little stove, if interested just say Oh also have a gizmo ironically from OZ a cast iron sandwhich maker jaffle iron :D (y) I'm sure you are aware of those

ha and as a country boy give me some wood to cook over and I'll be ok. Fascinating on the CP clever sod !! level without getting out of the drivers seat...NICE ahh the little things

How's the pop going mate?..................I'm still wowed by how it sits on the bus what a cracking design !!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Feel you pain on that one! Visited 7 different stations yesterday to try get a coupla quids worth of diesel. Reserve light is on and I've got to get the van to the tyre shop on Wednesday for new boots and then to the garage on Thursday for it's MOT. Sure that won't go down too well if they run out of juice whilst they're trying to do the test - can't fail on emissions though at least!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, it doesn't look like we are going to get the van back today. Looks like they have too many left hand brackets and not enought right handed ones (or is it the other way round?).
Had a search round the local area for fuel and it seems that everywhere is empty, so wouldn't have been able to fill up to go anywhere. Did manage to fill up the car yesterday so we can get down to Kent as planned. Just need to come back on the same day instead of staying a couple of nights. Going to be a busy day. 2 hour drive each way and 13 miles of walking.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Fuel the brain dead selfishness of brits.....at it's best............. there is enough for all of us if we just behave as normal ,but we can't cause it's all about me and heard a bit on tele....... Damn it makes me scream . PANIC PANIC PANIC

DOH

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The fuel shortage is getting everywhere!
Lack of fuel means they are having problems getting the final parts needed to complete the poptop. Aaaarrrggghhh!!!
Hoping to get the van back on Friday or Saturday.
Here's a sneak preview
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Next job will be to sort out the fridge opening. Looks [email protected] at the moment.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, they fitted a solar panel
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Azure Font Screenshot Electric blue Circle

Oh, and a poptop. Couldn't see it!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Road surface Tints and shades

Automotive exterior Tints and shades Wood Composite material Ceiling

and a diesel heater (fitted underneath so just the air inlet and outlet inside)
Car Automotive tire Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

Wood Floor Gas Flooring Hardwood

Rectangle Gadget Font Auto part Musical instrument accessory

Only driven it a couple of miles back home but really pleased so far. Couldn't detect any additional road noise.
Everyone kept on saying that we would need the roof bed to keep the canvas in place when driving. Glad to say it tucks very neatly into the gap between the old roof level and the new poptop. We've got the board so can fit it if we ever want to.

Big shout out to Chris at Chelmer Valley Campers who did all the work. What a fantastic job!

·
Registered
411 Posts
TBF II'm preddy much in love with you bus Andy man it's just so swish..I find your pics hard to view bro,cool but hard to view. I'm me Andy that might not apply to others;) That pop it siilly lovely, what a beaut of a design.

The small white box last pic..............is that the one you mentioned you wish you had bought a BMV 712 originally not that ? ha I'd have to make that dark somehow and place it a gnat's higher......isn't it strange how little tiny OCD things manifest them selves.

Fair play to the Craftsman Andy to " Chris " and your good self for the choices...... LMAO.............yeah man for god sake sort that fridge out:ROFLMAO: I've got some form of surround here for our's Andy think there are two base formats if memory serves........... you want the lowprofile one:)

Lovely bro bet you are well chuffed

stu

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@Soundz - yes, the white box is the BM1 compact battery monitor. Only available in white or grey so it was never going to match. Besides that, there's the heater control panel, double mains socket and 4 way 12V panel. The voltage display will be replaced with either a double USB, 12V socket, or switch for the big light in the roof (not sure which yet). There is a duplicate 240V double and 4 way 12V panel behind the drivers seat.

The confising picture is the one above the diesel stuff. For some reason it's turned round 90 degrees. Tilt your head to the right and you get a view of the roof looking towards the back of the van.

The fridge looks worse that it needs to be. I've got a couple of wood blocks underneath to stop the fridge from moving outwards and the bolts for the door hinge make that side sit slightly high. I've got to fill in about 20mm each side and 50mm I think at the top. Difficult bit is that I don't know what colour the rest of it was painted and wood or metal is just going to look odd. Maybe a curtain over the whole thing?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lol yup I was there last night with me head on the side too funny. :) See I do remember some of the stuff you tech me mate re BM thingy, give it time and i'm sure your good lady might not notice in a while after the pop top and heater expense has waned .

Buddy re fridge it is a weaco dometic isn't it? Are you aware of the surrounds weaco make............when I'm shattered I'm a bit cryptic at times like this buddy:

Andy you might need to raise fridge on some form of platform to let the surround cover the top gap, but you aren't matching the cupboard with the surround you're matching the fridge... yeah I know another 80notes gone south ,but it might offer a solution? and will look so much nicer, more in keeping with your lovely bus:cool:................... I have one here mate ,but my fridge is a 65 not a 50 which I think yours is so you'ld have to check the dimensions, 20mm it might just cover on the sides and you could add wood to mount it on (inside the hole) that it will then hide if needed.

Does that make more sense mate?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ooo. Didn't know about the surrounds! There is an additional problem not mentioned so far. The cabinet isn't quite deep enough so the front door sticks out a bit. Suspect that this might scupper any chances of making those surrounds fit properly. Also think the gaps I need to fill are too big.
I know what I would really like to do - recreate the fit from the Trakkadu that we had in Oz. The whole front was curved to take in the bigger depth needed for the fridge. Would need a new worktop in addition to the front itself, plus probably most of the innards too! I'll keep thinking on it.

i'm sure your good lady might not notice
She looks after the finances...

·
Registered
411 Posts
finances..hmm so does mine. well you guessed that already............. just keep mentioning how the colour doesn't work eventually it will bug her

Andy sticky out fridge Weaco do two designs, of surround I strongly suspect the non "flush fiit" is because often times the space at the back for their fridges is limited I've come across this before maybe a coombe valley video? ,,hopefully some of the lads with more knowledge will chime in. The other workaround is to cut into the plylining at the back and phyisically create more space, but strongly suspect the surround where the fridge sits slightly proud is your easiest solution.

Ha ha a curved design for the fridge cupboard I've no idea why anyone would do something like that ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Finally got round to plugging in my OBDeleven dongle. Been getting the ABS / ASR lights on the dashboard recently. Sometimes they go off after driving a bit. Sometimes they stay on. Common opinion is that it's one of the ABS sensors on the back wheels, but you need to know which one. Ran a scan and bingo - rear left ABS sensor intermittant signal. Several other messages but most of them could be explained by things that have been done recently.
Decided to clear everything and see if the ABS popped up again. Sods law - nothing! Took the van out for a quick loop of the local lanes and no lights at all. I'll wait until they come up again (hope not!) then dig a bit deeper. It will be either wiring, sensor, or both.
While I had tghe OBD connected, decided to enable the large speed display on the dash which was really simple. Pleased with that. Now, what else can I tweak?

If anyone else needs a diagnostics tool and you're round my area, give us a bell.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A day of frustration for me!. Trying to fix the ABS sensor issue (rear left wheel) but only seem to be making it worse. I've gone from it appearing to work properly (but logging the fault) to not working at all. Managed to measure the voltage at the sensor again. Still around 11V and the resistance of the sensor was about 990 Ohms. Decided to see if there was any problem in the loom so wheel off, tail lights off, Wheel arch plastic trim off, pull the cable through and under loads of the stickiest sticky black sticky tape I found .... 2 perfectly good connections:mad:.
At least now I have somewhere to measure things with it all connected while turning the wheel. Ran out of light in the end so packed everything up for the day. Will resume tomorrow (on the assumption it's not raining)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Interested to see how this gets resolved. I had an intermittent ABS error on the dash at the weekend. Stopped the van, switched off and restarted a minute or two later - still there. Carried on for a bit then stopped again at some roadworks, switched off whilst I was waiting and pumped the brake pedal a couple of times just to check the pedal feel. When I switched back on, ABS light gone.
I need to do a full scan but I'm assuming it's going to be a sensor issue.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts