VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
VW T5.1 in Crayon Grey
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

I’m back to the UK in a few days time, and plan to fit a new steering wheel and cruise control / trip stalk, that’s been delivered back home for my T5.1.

I’ve scoured the forums / YouTube, but can’t seem to find an accurate video regarding wiring to the BCM etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏼

Pic for attention! 😎

Tire Wheel Sky Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's plenty on the forum. I searched for "cruise" and followed this along with the instructions that came with the cruise stalk. Took about 3.5hrs including coding. The worst wire was the one found to the fuse box in the engine bay. A right pig to get to.

While I was at it I also changed the steering wheel and added the trip/stereo controls. Note that if you have the trip on the stalk already it will over ride the steering wheel unless it's removed for a stalk without the trip button.

·
Registered
VW T5.1 in Crayon Grey
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply mate.

I did have a quick search, and read some stuff on here, but was hoping to find a step by step guide really as I’m more mechanically minded, than electrical.

I’ve bought the stalk from a FB group member, so won’t come with instructions I don’t think?

I have a new steering wheel to fit (non MFSW) and head unit also, so plan to do it all at the same time…

There's plenty on the forum. I searched for "cruise" and followed this along with the instructions that came with the cruise stalk. Took about 3.5hrs including coding. The worst wire was the one found to the fuse box in the engine bay. A right pig to get to.

While I was at it I also changed the steering wheel and added the trip/stereo controls. Note that if you have the trip on the stalk already it will over ride the steering wheel unless it's removed for a stalk without the trip button.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Depending where you got your cruise kit from it should have full instructions on how to wire up to the BCM etc.
The kit I bought was genuine VW and the only tricky bit is as surfing_diver says, running the wire to the fuse box under the battery. You also need to extend one of the wires as the instructions are for a left-hand drive vehicle.

·
Registered
VW T5.1 in Crayon Grey
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that @64 SPLIT.

The stalk is from a FB group member, and the wiring loom I plan to get is this one, which should hopefully come with the instructions!

I had a good read of that post earlier regarding the wiring up, and did notice a couple of comments about having to extend the wire to the battery. Again, I’m a total noob when it comes to electrical stuff, so can you advise me which wire I’d need to buy for extending the wire please!?

Depending where you got your cruise kit from it should have full instructions on how to wire up to the BCM etc.
The kit I bought was genuine VW and the only tricky bit is as surfing_diver says, running the wire to the fuse box under the battery. You also need to extend one of the wires as the instructions are for a left-hand drive vehicle.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's a couple of years since I did mine but it's only a fairly standard section of 1.5mm wire (off the top of my head) so you can easily pick up a small reel of the same diameter wire from Halfords etc. and just splice it onto the loom with a butt join crimp / solder etc.
If it's a genuine VW retrofit kit it'll come with the instructions and they pretty easy to follow (the BCM relay location was a bit confusing and requires you to contort yourself into the drivers footwell to get a look at the relay you need but if you follow it all through methodically it's not too bad a job. You'll need VCDS (or similar) to activate cruise in the BCM (5 min job) - also just check which version BCM you have - part number needs to end in 087 or higher to support it (otherwise you'll need to replace / upgrade the BCM too).

·
Registered
VW T5.1 in Crayon Grey
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. I’ll have a look for the wire next time in Halfords. That link to the one on eBay is a genuine VW loom yeah.

I don’t have VCDS, but was looking into the OBDeleven. Not sure if that’s able to code it or not though!?
My BCM ends in 087, so that’s all good…

It's a couple of years since I did mine but it's only a fairly standard section of 1.5mm wire (off the top of my head) so you can easily pick up a small reel of the same diameter wire from Halfords etc. and just splice it onto the loom with a butt join crimp / solder etc.
If it's a genuine VW retrofit kit it'll come with the instructions and they pretty easy to follow (the BCM relay location was a bit confusing and requires you to contort yourself into the drivers footwell to get a look at the relay you need but if you follow it all through methodically it's not too bad a job. You'll need VCDS (or similar) to activate cruise in the BCM (5 min job) - also just check which version BCM you have - part number needs to end in 087 or higher to support it (otherwise you'll need to replace / upgrade the BCM too).

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yeah OBDeleven should be able to code it, depending what version you have (I'm not overly familiar with it - always been a VCDS bod myself). All good with 087 BCM then. Time to skin your knuckles then, unless you have tiny hands! 😂

·
Registered
VW T5.1 in Crayon Grey
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone confirm which wire it is that needs extending? And what type of wire it is please?

I’ve ordered the OEM retrofit harness now…

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
These are the instructions for it...
http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/T5-ccs.pdf

The wire to the eBox (under the battery tray) is the wire that may need to be extended as most of the looms supplied are for LHD vehicles. Off the top of my head it's a yellow and black wire - it'll be clear when you get the loom which one it is as it's the longest single cable in there. If you need to extend it, just get some cable of the same thickness and splice it in (keep the correct multiplug pin on the end)
Some of the looms supplied by TPS are for RHD so won't need extending. The instructions say to route the cable up through where the bonnet release cable is, however you don't have to use that route and can run the cable across behind the dash or through any other available grommet to get the wire over the starter battery side of the engine bay. Connecting it into the multiplug under the eBox is the major PITA job and requires time and patience and the hands of an 8yr old child! Take your time with that one and make sure you get the correct plug.

It's also worth checking the operation of your clutch switch with VCDS before you start - if this is faulty then it will stop CC from activating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts