VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

New to the forums (and to T5s altogether) but hoping someone can help with a lighting issue.

Have a second hand 2011 T5 with the twin reflector headlights. I read on the forums that these utilise two bulbs for full beam. Side lights, dipped etc all working fine. Full beam seems to be working on the outer bulb (shared with the dipped) but both offside and nearside inner bulbs are not working.

I pulled them out and they are OSRAM P21W 7506 lights which seem a bit...naff? One of them is blown, the other looks okay on first inspection, but neither are working so I have ordered a couple to see if that fixes the problem for now. All fuses look okay... I think.

Anyone know if these are OEM bulbs or something cheap the previous owner put in? It's a commercial van originally.

Thanks,

EDIT: Updated title to reflect discussion on DRLs.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,386 Posts
They're not what are known as twin reflector, they're the standard single reflector glow worm emulating headlights, the inner lamp is the DRL, Daytime Running Lamps, which should come on with the ignition but go off when the side or headlamps are turned on. The headlamp bulbs are H4 60/55w twin filament for dip & main, the DRL's are P21W as you say.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,055 Posts
As above, they are standard lights, not twin headlights. The DRL Osrams are probably not factory - I'm pretty sure my factory ones had no maker's mark.

It's also not surprising that they have been replaced, as those P21W's never seem to last long at all! Osram is a pretty good make overall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, thanks - that makes more sense. I think I confused it with something i read about the Californias with that full beam set up.

I'll have a check of the DRL fuses tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Best bet is replace the DRL bulbs with LED's they will last longer and look much better being a whiter light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts