VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a relatively newbie.
I've got a 2011 T5.1 Shuttle Diesel auto, with retro fit 'Rostra' cruise. I don't particularly like it and thinking of having an OEM cruise fitted. Before I do so, I'd like to talk to someone with a simlar spec engine/ box van to check that the cruise works in a way that I'd want it to.
IE. On a downhill road, the cruise holds a reasonable programmed speed, and on uphill, it does not accelarate so hard that it looses all the benefits of cruise WRT fuel economy (as the current one does)
I've also a Skoda with factory cruise which works, really well, and hoping that I could get my van to do the same.
I'm near crawley in West Sussex, if there is anyone local please.
Also looking for a relatively local installer anyone??
Thanks.
Abbo

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
2013 Shuttle 140 DSG based camper, retrofit OE cruise. On downhill it will change down a gear or two or more to try to keep to the set speed, going up hill it will apply as much throttle as is necessary & change down gears to try to maintain the set speed, that's what cruise does.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,769 Posts
on uphill, it does not accelarate so hard that it looses all the benefits of cruise WRT fuel economy
Like any (non-adaptive) cruise control, it will put in as much power as it needs to to maintain the set speed. If that means the electronic equivalent of foot flat to the floor, that's what it will do.

I only use mine on motorways and relatively flat, straight A roads, because I prefer to ease off on the throttle when approaching corners and on steep hills. A standard (OEM or aftermarket) cruise control of course cannot do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts