VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the last jobs left on my 2015 ex-AA T5.1 conversion is to sort out the tow bar electrics.

The van came with the tow socket already fitted (standard 7 pin) and a LED CFC module fitted inside the bench seat.

Most of the the AA electrics have been removed but I just presumed that the tow bar set up would work. Why would they disconnect it I thought?

Well something is amiss as the socket appears dead, tried my Thule bike rack and a tow bar tester, nothing...

I have tried to look for lights on the LED module as per the instruction sheet I managed to find on the net, again nothing.

Re plugged everything in and out etc. Fuses under the bench seat all seem OK

I have tried to get an Auto electrician booked for months in South Manchester but he keeps fobbing me off.

Problem is, I can't use either my bike rack or fit my swivel bench seat base until this is sorted.

Don't know if this is of use but when I got the van it had a couple of codes including this one that perhaps sounds relevant:

CAN NETWORK GATEWAY 01517 "Control Module for trailer towing sensor J345". Maybe just needs re-activating in VAG?

Here are some images in case anyone else has come across this maybe with the same module or an ex-AA van?

Any help or advice much appreciated!!

(Or a recommendation for a decent Auto Sparky in Greater Manchester / North Cheshire / High Peak? or even someone ex - AA !! :D )

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Road surface

Gadget Font Audio equipment Electronic device Multimedia

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Audio equipment Trunk Gadget Bumper Automotive exterior
White Product Car Motor vehicle Rectangle

Attachments

·
Special Rapporteur
10,945 Posts
I think you'll need more diagnostic info. As far as I can tell that fault code just tells you that there's a problem between J345 and the CAN gateway - there should be more diagnostic data if you look at it with VCDS. Do you have 12V power at the supplying fuse?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you'll need more diagnostic info. As far as I can tell that fault code just tells you that there's a problem between J345 and the CAN gateway - there should be more diagnostic data if you look at it with VCDS. Do you have 12V power at the supplying fuse?
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have or know anyone with VCDS so can't delve deep unfortunately. I used Calista when I bought it.

I have done some basic electrics before (added EHU, solar etc ) but with this I think am really going to need an Auto electrician

I posted this just in case someone said "Oh, its just fuse x or wire z, simple fix" thinking that would be great.

I have no idea what is even supplying the module, it's basically a rat's nest under there! Could just be that the module itself is kaput and needs replacing

I will try again today to book in with the guy in Wythenshawe, he's supposed to be well rated

Thanks again!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auto Electrician finally booked for Friday 8th July!

I will report back with whatever the issue is in case it is of use to others.

Fingers crossed! 🤞

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,897 Posts
I'm with Mr T. Ex-AA electrics are often a bit of a confused art. This is a guess but they do often simply remove Items (flashing lights and second batteries) without updating the towing module on the CAN network. And (worse) your box doesn't look original yet it appears to be broadcasting on the CAN network. As Triffic says, someone will have to see if there is any communication with the J345 and what it is saying. Hopefully your guy will unravel it all. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: Darryl the mobile auto electrician has worked his magic and sorted it!

2 hours of fettling and exploring turned up a sliced Can Bus lead to the trailer module (obviously cut by the AA when de-commisioning, crazy!!)

Bit of re-connecting & soldering behind the dash and bingo, job done. Tow bar electrics all working again! £75 well spent.

I can recommend Darryl for auto sparking if you are in the Greater Manchester area

1 - 7 of 7 Posts