VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, obviously I have the usual questions to ask but one in particular is about the gearbox on the 84 and 104 models...... Can it be switched for a 6 speed with out many complications and then a remap?

Like most people, I'm trying to find the perfect van, 140 with air conditioning that hasn't been to the moon and back. I will be doing a fair few miles myself living on the continent and driving back to the UK a lot, but if this is possible it would open up the options massively.

Really appreciate the advice

Matt:

:*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Matt

I've converted mine to a 6 speed gearbox and had it remapped last week by SP tuning in Hinckley.. Gone from 103 to 170 bhp the difference is amazing.... You will need the driveshafts and gear linkage for the 6 speed, the only down side is the ECU only shows 5 gears on the speedo but doesn't affect the performance...

Andy

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi Matt

I've converted mine to a 6 speed gearbox and had it remapped last week by SP tuning in Hinckley.. Gone from 103 to 170 bhp the difference is amazing.... You will need the driveshafts and gear linkage for the 6 speed, the only down side is the ECU only shows 5 gears on the speedo but doesn't affect the performance...

Andy
rough price please I:I:I:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Matt

Andy
The ECU can be coded with VCDS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Matt

Andy
Thanks Andy,

Nice to know it can be done with a bit of effort. It will really help with searching as that would be something I'd be prepared to do.

Thanks for the help, I may be in touch with a PM if thats ok? T:

Matt

·
Registered
320 Posts
180bp with 5 speed and no issues :ILU:
yep, not around town it would not be. however OP mentioned he will be doing loads of motorway miles and with 5 speed that would mean higher consumption, faster wear of engine components, and on long runs very important -noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi i need some info from some one that has gone true the same situation. so i have a VW t5 transporter from 2005 9 seater wit a AXB engine and originally had a GTV 5speed gearbox from factory be4 i owned and i buy this van wit a FJL 5speed and is also damaged noisy 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 are rattling so now i need to find other gearbox so what 6speed gearbox reference i can search to fit my AXB engine and in future will fit a ARL engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts