VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your experience with T5.1 Sportline replicas?
I have tried a few copies but not found one I am happy with
All these were fibreglass

Same is true for the rear spoilers
What sorts of experience have you folks had with copies?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No experience for me but every aftermarket item I see on the web I shy away from as I would want plastic and not Fibreglass. Fibreglass shatters, cracks and splinters and an item that is potentially going to kiss some Kerbs should be the strongest/most pliable material around.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No experience for me but every aftermarket item I see on the web I shy away from as I would want plastic and not Fibreglass. Fibreglass shatters, cracks and splinters and an item that is potentially going to kiss some Kerbs should be the strongest/most pliable material around.
I didn't even fit the fibreglass
Just wasn't happy
Plastic all the way but its so difficult to emulate well

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Vanstyle do a nice sportline style rear spoiler and it's plastic.
I think it's a direct copy of the oe one because the fitting instructions are also a direct copy.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have ended up making my own
Will take 3 or 4 months to come in
Plastic all the way !

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Had both genuine and copy . The copy was for a preface lift t5 and was the cheapest one available , the fit was perfect , no trimming , just bonded straight on .....the only criticism was that it was very thin but other than that couldn't fault it .
For our facelift van we went for genuine , this was because at the time no one did one that you could get to the fog lights once fitted ( this was also an issue on the pre face lift , vw one was the same ) so it was a plastic genuine one , expensive but the old adage is spot on , you get what you pay for . We have seen plenty of copy ones and it would seem without a fair bit of body shop intervention they are pretty poor fit and finish .
This is only my experience of two different spoilers , don't want to get pelters from others , it's just our opinion !!!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm in the process of doing a face lift and bought a copy sport line front spoiler with removable grills. The fit is perfect, I will upload some pictures when it's all painted...no reason to spend a fortune on the genuine one when you can get a perfect copy with removable grills...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What about doing an ABT style copy in plastic?
I did price this
but I need to make 500 - 1000 to get my money back and make money
so its not economically viable
Same with the ford Transit
Genuines are here to stay I guess

1 - 20 of 34 Posts