VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First post and awful name. My mate set me up on this forum ages ago and chose to give me a comedy name. I've been lurking for years and have learned a lot from everyone here, and having just picked up my T5.1 thought it was time to ask a few stereo questions.

I have an RCD310 with the factory upgrade 4 speakers, integrated Bluetooth (with bt audio), MFSW, DIS and park sensors F&R. I'd like to have dab and in the end add rear speakers and a sub to my kombi. I have investigated the OEM options such as RCD510, RNS510 & RNS315 because it would be great to keep the factory look, but can't help thinking the Kenwood DNX512 DAB would be best.

My main question is what would happen to my factory Bluetooth system and steering wheel controls, because I'd like to retain them along with the phone info in the DIS?

Any help or opinions you may be able to offer would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

I have a similar setup with RC310 and DAB and paid for the stereo upgrade with the 4-speaker option. This might sound daft but when Hazzy Dayz fitted Blue Tooth for me, the chap pointed out there were only one pair of speaker connections .... I presume the speakers in dash are wired in parallel to those in the doors.

I have been thinking about upgrading to and RCD510 DAB in order to keep the MFSW and DIS working. There are lots on eBay but I haven't bitten the bullet yet. Prices seem to range from £250-£350.

Sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right. The dash and door speakers must run through a passive crossover with the door speakers handling the "bass". I'm sure I've read on here that it's possible to re-program the RCD310/510 etc to enable the rear speaker outputs using VAG-COM, then all that would be required is speaker cables connected to the correct pins on the connector at the back of the stereo.

I'm still no further on with the DNX512DAB, I really need to know whether my factory bluetooth can function independently of a VW headunit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i just pulled an old iso connector to bits to leave the metal pin connector then pushed that into the relavent hole in the mini iso connector until it clicks in. put it all back together then turned it on and the headunit must have noticed there was a connection and
powered the rear speakers and changed the sound settings to show a fader control which wasn't there before.

I now want to run a amp and a sub and i'm faced with buying a line level converter. or just putting a aftermarket head unit in but
like you i quite like the MFD and steering wheel controls and also my rear parking sensors im not sure if they would still work properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just pulled an old iso connector to bits to leave the metal pin connector then pushed that into the relavent hole in the mini iso connector until it clicks in. put it all back together then turned it on and the headunit must have noticed there was a connection and
powered the rear speakers and changed the sound settings to show a fader control which wasn't there before.

I now want to run a amp and a sub and i'm faced with buying a line level converter. or just putting a aftermarket head unit in but
like you i quite like the MFD and steering wheel controls and also my rear parking sensors im not sure if they would still work properly.
That's interesting about the rear speakers, like you say the HU must detect the load of the new speakers and enable the rear output. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Good post and I really dont know answer
I think its one of those questions that wont get answered until someone actually tried
Come to think of it mind Jamie who runs Swiss has an Amarok that has a 521 that
replaced the VW unit and I am pretty sure it had bluetooth too

Logically the new unit bluetooth would work instead
A loom would connect the new head to the multifunction
But it would need switching on with a Rosskemp

We might even have the DAB for sale from it

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Dont understand
What does this mean?
From reading the thread I thought people were saying that the 4 speaker upgrade was done by connecting the 'new' speakers to the existing speakers ie in parallel and that someone had improved upon this by reconnecting the 'new' speakers to the spare/extra pins in the iso socket and ended up with a correct setup and was able to fade between front and rear speakers.

or did I get it totally wrong???:*

If my interpretation is correct then VW would have only have done half a job......but as above, maybe I've misread it...

BTW, where do the extra 'new' speakers go?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
From reading the thread I thought people were saying that the 4 speaker upgrade was done by connecting the 'new' speakers to the existing speakers ie in parallel and that someone had improved upon this by reconnecting the 'new' speakers to the spare/extra pins in the iso socket and ended up with a correct setup and was able to fade between front and rear speakers.

or did I get it totally wrong???:*

If my interpretation is correct then VW would have only have done half a job......but as above, maybe I've misread it...

BTW, where do the extra 'new' speakers go?
Not sure really but u are usually right

·
Registered
8 Posts
The factory Bluetooth won't function anymore. I think it may still connect as the module will still probably be powered but the audio from phone calls won't feed through the new head unit. You'll be using the Bluetooth in the new unit. Let me know if your looking for a supply and fit on something aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The factory Bluetooth won't function anymore. I think it may still connect as the module will still probably be powered but the audio from phone calls won't feed through the new head unit. You'll be using the Bluetooth in the new unit. Let me know if your looking for a supply and fit on something aftermarket.
Need to join as a Trader if you are soliciting I:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi I've just had the RNA 510 fitted to my
12 plate sportline and its fabulous and
Will do everything and more that you want
Only problem with blue tooth the price is
Over a grand fitted by Hazydayz but apart from
Price it works excellent with mfsw

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi I've just had the RNA 510 fitted to my
12 plate sportline and its fabulous and
Will do everything and more that you want
Only problem with blue tooth the price is
Over a grand fitted by Hazydayz but apart from
Price it works excellent with mfsw
At risk of a rude question, what was the total cost of the unit and MFSW? I assume Hazzydays did them both?

I don't understand why there is no option for these from VW when you order a Sportline

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
So after pondoring the question regarding additional speakers in a T5 kombi i have some of the answers. The van is new built 11/12 140bhp.

RCD310 fitted and here are the pictures of the iso plugs. The radio does have the pins but the plug doesn't so you'll need to insert the correct pins...ebay? You can clearly see in the RHS plug is missing the 2 top (LR) and 2 bottom (RR) pins

I guess as has been previously mentioned, the radio will sense the impedance of the new speakers and enable the fade button.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.