VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. Our T5.1 was really playing up today, it has done it before but it has been months since it last did it. Luckily we were able to get home, but I am concerned it is just going to get worse:

Start the engine and the blown bulb light will come on on the dash, then when you switch on the indicator (left or right) it will signal for about 3 clicks, then will start rapidly clicking all the indicator lights and stay on. All the bulbs are working and fine. The lights even stay on when the key is removed. They stay on for about 30 seconds then finally go off. It might be a red herring because it is hard to reproduce, but perhaps giving the drivers door a decent slam sorted it out and allowed us to get home from being away today???!

Does anyone have a clue as to what this might be or any idea of the sort of cost a decent garage would charge to diagnose this issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,144 Posts
It's hard to be sure in cases like this as there a number of possible suspects. The two that seem most likely are an aftermarket alarm (they are often wired into the indicator circuits) and the main Body Control Module, though it's also true that wiring loom damage can cause odd symptoms.

If you know the complete history of the vehicle and know for sure that it has no alarm fitted then the main BCM seems the most probable source of the issues. It doesn't seem likely that slamming the door would have been relevant.

Does it have standard factory exterior lights? Any other electrical modifications?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to be sure in cases like this as there a number of possible suspects. The two that seem most likely are an aftermarket alarm (they are often wired into the indicator circuits) and the main Body Control Module, though it's also true that wiring loom damage can cause odd symptoms.

If you know the complete history of the vehicle and know for sure that it has no alarm fitted then the main BCM seems the most probable source of the issues. It doesn't seem likely that slamming the door would have been relevant.

Does it have standard factory exterior lights? Any other electrical modifications?
Thanks for the reply. There are no exterior lights but there does appear to be a Cobra alarm fitted and we also had a tow bar fitted when we bought the van. The issue happens with or without the lightboard attached. The only other thing I can think of is the fact I installed an Android head unit a while back (can't remember if this issue happened before that, possibly) and it has a CAN bus adapter to sense reversing, headlights etc.

Do you think it might be the alarm? Am I correct in thinking the BCM is in the dash? If it turned out to be the BCM, is it a case of a straight swapwith a new one, or would it require configuring for my vehicle?

·
Special Rapporteur
10,144 Posts
The question about exterior lights was meant to be: does it have the standard external light fittings, and standard filament bulbs, as it came from the factory?

You can't rule out weird problems with the towbar electrics if the bypass relay is sitting in a pool of water in the rear wing, but it sounds unlikely in this case because of the 30 second delay. It's certainly possible that it could be the Cobra alarm, but I'm sorry to say I don't know anything about that make of alarm.

Yes, the main BCM is under the dash at about driver's knee level. It's quite likely that a secondhand BCM from a similar age van (i.e. same part number) would work OK for the purposes of a test - some body electrical features might not work exactly right but it would probably function well enough without coding, initially.

However, I would want to get the diagnostic codes checked before doing anything further, as that ~might~ give you further clues to work from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A mate has ran some diagnostics for me and it came back with the following faults:

2 Faults Found:
00967 - Left Turn Signals
006 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100110
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 174
Mileage: 43926 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2017.09.04
Time: 16:35:56

00968 - Right Turn Signals
006 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100110
Reset counter: 174
Mileage: 43926 km
Date: 2017.09.04
Time: 16:35:56

1 Fault Found:
5568 - Sensor for Ambient Air Temperature (G17)
P0073 00 [032] - Signal too High
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

1 Fault Found:
01304 - Radio
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Reset counter: 177
Mileage: 89426 km
Date: 2020.08.20
Time: 14:51:56

The radio I'm guessing is because I have replaced the head unit.

Not sure about the ambient air sensor.

So the short to plus on the indicators could be related but that was back in 2017 so is that a red herring? I checked the front two indicator bulbs and they are decent Phillips ones and all the connections seem in good condition, no corrosion etc.

So could it still be the BCM, Alarm or tow relay then? Would a BCM fault show up in the diagnostics?

Thanks again for any help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts