VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a 2010 Caravelle 2.0 bitdi and its giving out a white puff of smoke.
This doesn't happen when the engine is cold, only when it reaches running temp 90. Took it for a run as I thought it might be doing a regen, but it hasn't completely cleared it even after a 40 min motorway drive with revs around 2000.
I had a Pendle remap from 180 to 209 which has been great, but I had to have a software update at VW, and I'm wondering if this has now put the timing out or something?

So the white smoke is only at running temp, if I have been sitting at traffic lights and out my foot down firmly. No smoke as im driving along at all that I can see. No running problems or loss of power, although it might have a touch of the lag back that the remap had fixed.

Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Which is a timing thing yeah? Noob alert!
to be fair my engine knowledge is based on older diesels without ecu's etc and certainly non of this high pressure common rail stuff, but white smoke on start was always unburnt fuel usually because glow plugs were not functioning - i'd hazard a guess (and it is a guess) that if it was ok when pendle mapped it but then after vw updated it the ecu is confused somehow and overfueling or fueling at the wrong time? again total guess here and happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's weird, as the lag is nowhere near as bad as it is without the map...feels like it has disrupted things though.
Just had a message from lovely TH Performance, and I'm just going to get my remap reinstalled...hopefully should sort it out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts