VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had her parked up for a few months and the battery had gone dead so disconnected and fully charged battery. Re-fitted battery, get ignition lights although flickering, still won't turn over and can hear a clicking noise accompanied by the odd fizz under the bonnet. Tried tapping what I think is the starter motor with a hammer but no joy.
Any help would be much appreciated as need to do get her ready for a trip to Cornwall.

Cheers

Moorsey

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sounds like you either need a new battery or check the live / earth leads are on tight. Don't keep trying to start it with a duff battery or you may cause yourself further issues :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, I'll put a multimeter on the battery and check it before buying another. I did use a jumpstart pack on it, also tried jump leads but just got a really slow turnover but no startup:confused:

·
Registered
961 Posts
99% sure that is a duff battery mate. Recharge it again and then put fully charged booster on before you do the first retry. If it starts easy enough then, then u will need a new battery.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks Dave, I'll put a multimeter on the battery and check it before buying another. I did use a jumpstart pack on it, also tried jump leads but just got a really slow turnover but no startup:confused:
If a cell has 'died' it can stop the booster pack voltage starting the van, well, that's what I've found anyway! Try removing the + & - leads and just connect those to the booster pack / cables and try that. If it then starts just change the battery T:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If a battery has gone flat and is left flat for any period of time, it's game over for the battery. There is a chemical reaction, and the plates get coated in sulphate.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,048 Posts
Try removing the + & - leads and just connect those to the booster pack / cables and try that. If it then starts just change the battery T:
Be prepared for collateral damage if you do this. The problem is that when you connect an external booster pack normally, the existing vehicle battery will be in parallel and can absorb some of the energy in the voltage spikes that happen as you connect/disconnect, and can smooth any big voltage fluctuations. Without the battery in place you ~may~ be at risk of damaging the van's electrical systems... You may get away with it many times, but if it goes wrong just once it will probably be very expensive to fix.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Be prepared for collateral damage if you do this. The problem is that when you connect an external booster pack normally, the existing vehicle battery will be in parallel and can absorb some of the energy in the voltage spikes that happen as you connect/disconnect, and can smooth any big voltage fluctuations. Without the battery in place you ~may~ be at risk of damaging the van's electrical systems... You may get away with it many times, but if it goes wrong just once it will probably be very expensive to fix.
Sorry if this is correct, I've done it a few times without any problems :*

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yep, best to leave a battery connected while using a booster to avoid power spikes. One trick to put power back into a completely flat battery is piggyback charge using a good battery of same voltage. Link positives of two batteries together then negatives. Then attach battery charger to either battery. I am not sure why this works but I have brought many a good but completely flat A:battery back to life ( I have lots of classic vehicles at home sitting around!).
Have you had any look yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts