VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the well-known issue with the camshaft and cam-followers wearing. Some information for those researching the issue:

2 weeks ago, the engine started to make a "popping" sound which emits from the airbox - quite easy to spot.
Noise went as the engine warmed up.
Booked in a replacement with Dan at Just Vans.
Used the Caravelle for a couple of short journeys before going down to Torbay.

The c. 90 mile trip to Dan was an interesting one! The popping sound continued for the entire trip. Some phases of misfire. No power - telegraph hill was quite a challenge, but got behind a cement mixer - stayed with him for most of the climb at 20mph, but he was pulling away at the top of the hill...

So, from first noise to the garage - about 140 miles. I wouldn't have wanted it to be a single mile longer.

Caravelle 2.5 174 AXE auto Exec. 108,000 miles. VW servicing from new(presume 506.01 oil). 1 careful owner!

Will finish this "service announcement" saying that Dan was extremely helpful, and his advice and knowledge was once again spot-on.

Very quiet and smooth now. It's a great engine when it's working. Shame about these design features.

·
Registered
868 Posts
So, the well-known issue with the camshaft and cam-followers wearing. Some information for those researching the issue:

2 weeks ago, the engine started to make a "popping" sound which emits from the airbox - quite easy to spot.
Noise went as the engine warmed up.
Booked in a replacement with Dan at Just Vans.
Used the Caravelle for a couple of short journeys before going down to Torbay.

The c. 90 mile trip to Dan was an interesting one! The popping sound continued for the entire trip. Some phases of misfire. No power - telegraph hill was quite a challenge, but got behind a cement mixer - stayed with him for most of the climb at 20mph, but he was pulling away at the top of the hill...

So, from first noise to the garage - about 140 miles. I wouldn't have wanted it to be a single mile longer.

Caravelle 2.5 174 AXE auto Exec. 108,000 miles. VW servicing from new(presume 506.01 oil). 1 careful owner!

Will finish this "service announcement" saying that Dan was extremely helpful, and his advice and knowledge was once again spot-on.

Very quiet and smooth now. It's a great engine when it's working. Shame about these design features.
I had my cam and followers changed but still tappet type noise, I was told they need to bed in ? Strange as yours is smooth and quiet. I am glad your is all good though. T:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts