VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a 2005 2.5 TDI and it has just been diagosed now with the worn out camshaft/rocker gear problem and a leaking water pump, which is crazy at only 175,000 kms!

I have had it since 140,000 and in that time it has had the stubshaft issue where the teeth disintegrate leaving me stranded, a clutch replacement, clutch master cylinder replacement, power steering motor and a broken turbo pipe causing excessive smoke, along with much of the interior starting to self destruct, eg gear knob broke off, cup holder snapped and things generaly just breaking and falling apart.

Are these vehicles considered to be a reliable van or have I just got a lemon?

It would be the perfect vehicle if it didnt keep letting me down and costing me a fortune in repairs.

Once the camshaft problem is repaired I am wondering if it would be a better idea to get rid of the T5 and get a Toyota Hiace which I have heard are much more reliable. On the other hand perhaps the VW will be good for many more kilometers once this problem is sorted.

Does anyone know of other common problems that the 2.5 T5 is likely to encounter?

I bought this van expecting a quality German engineered vehicle but so far it has been very dissapointing.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The camshaft/rockers can easily fail if the incorrect oil has been used - these engines are extremely fussy about their oil.

The cupholders are indeed rubbish.

It may have been previously driven by a gorilla, which could account for the trim parts, like the gear knob falling apart.

A Hiace may be more reliable, but you won't see me driving one.

The issue with T5's (& the 2.5 in particular) is that they need looking after by someone who knows these vehicles inside out, they are, often beyound the scope of general mechanics (even good ones).

I'd get it done & see how it goes before loosing all your street cred.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Don't be blinded by marketing and brand loyalty, if it's rubbish get shut ASAP and get something else and put the costs down to experience, as they say, it's no good flogging a dead horse...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Maintenance is King. These vehicles will run intergalactic mileage if well maintained. Maybe not in your vehicles case or, your just unlucky. Perhaps buying a Toyota is an option, but personally I find driving in a Ballaclava a pain. :ILU:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This camshaft fault appeared very soon after the vans most recent service, I actually took the van back to the mechanic as I felt it seemed a little less powerful and perhaps a bit more smokey on acceleration. They couldn't find a problem.

The oil they used was Valvoline Synpower XLIII 5W30, does anyone know if this is perhaps the wrong oil for the T5 2.5 TDI

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can you tell on the VIN number the place of build? I can't see anything on there stating the place of manufacture unless it is in code.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
If its an 05 van then I assume its an AXD/AXE in which case it needs 0w30 that is 506.01 spec so 5w30 will e the wrong oil

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same problem with mine. Engine blew on the first week home. Decided to get the engine rebuilt. Now it's still going wrong. New turbo, crank spindle, abs pump already this year.

I'm searching for a 4wd ecu atm. There like gold dust second hand!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had the same problem with mine. Engine blew on the first week home. Decided to get the engine rebuilt. Now it's still going wrong. New turbo, crank spindle, abs pump already this year.

I'm searching for a 4wd ecu atm. There like gold dust second hand!
Try ecu testing in Derby. They are VAG ecu repairs exerts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts