VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a T5 Caravelle but the owner has admitted that it jumps out of reverse gear occasionally. Its a 2.5 TD with a manual gearbox......can anyone shed any light on what may be the problem and whether its an expensive/difficult job to do or not?

Thanks for any help....:ILU:

:)

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
How long is a piece of string ?

It could just be the linkage or the actuating levers on the box, in which case its not too bad.

If the box comes out it could be expensive - recon' box from independants anything from just under a grand to just under two - from VW about two & a half grand + fitting.

If the Caravelle is a really nice one then go for it, but try & get some money off it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strangely it originates from down your way in Herne Bay. When he was asked what was done at the last service he put....

Carry out full service. Carry out Live date check. Replace Air Mass Mater. Investigate N/S electric window fault. Supply and fit new switch. Supply and fit X2 front flexi hoses Relocate rear springs correct position. Supply and fit screen wash filer tube Supply and fit Front wishbone bushes Supply and fit gear selector shaft Fuel filter Seal Lever. To supply and fit x2 new Turbo boost pipes,seals, clear over boost fault codes and test. Remove section of dash to re-wire interior blower fan £384.59 for parts £472 labour £319 VAT Total £1175.59 No idea about the clutch. Does not have a Cambelt. As far as i know the engine and pump are the original ones.

So, something was done during that butI've emailed him and he says he was told it could be a "worn reverse sector" ( I think he means selector ) and been quoted around £600. He says he want £7k for it but thats a bit much do you think? :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Wow had a few things gone wrong... one would say its had work so will be ok, I always think the oppisite, depending on year and model I,d want a hevty amount off as the other member mentioned how longs a piece of string, you could be getting a nice big bill once purchased. Thats just my opinion

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 54 plate 05 with nearly 200k on the clock.

I wouldn't normally touch it with a barge pole but nice Caravelles are rare/expensive and every man and his dog is after one.

:cool:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah it's hard getting a good one, I think if the body is good then the mileage is not too much of an issue, be prepared for mega bucks when the 2.5 engine goes wrong though. However, low mileage vehicles are highly priced so actually a high miler can prove to be cost effective. We paid £8.8k in Jan with 250k on the clock, some nice extras like VW side bars and spoilers already fitted. However the second turbo went so vehicle now has its 3rd turbo in its life (upgraded to 174 spec now), then an injector went and the injector bore wear is so bad I can't justify just replacing the injectors. So at the very least it is a new head, and it may be a new engine as do it once and do it right is my moto.

With regards to the reverse gear I think you will have to budget for a repair, it is only likely to get worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts