VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps
A short story on T5's problems during 10 years and 170,000 miles.
Van purchased May 2005 4 months old ex-demo with 4,000 mile on clock.
3 year and 4 months later at 62K O/S Drive Shaft & Output drive replaced £540 after 10% discount as vehicle was only just out of warranty. VW would not allow me to see or keep broken components. I had intended to get them analysed as the usual drive shaft failures are at the knuckle joint not at the splines. Contacted VW customer relations who advised me that this is not a common fault, so I was just unlucky. Shortly after this repair water pump leaking so another rather high value invoice for OE replacement. Now several years later after another O/S drive failure lets hope I’ve got the upgraded version this time (another £630 poorer).
Other problems that have raided the bank balance. Brake fluid reservoir filling up!! OK New power steering pump. Been quite a few problems since passing 160K. New clutch and dual mass flywheel fitted £1000. Engine stutter at about 3,200 rpm whilst pulling hard, turned out to be injection loom under rocker box, not an expensive item but not quick to fit, front of van stripped out to get inlet manifold off. Another year on the alternator warning occurred, front off van yet again for replacement, glow plugs at same time as engine misfired at start up only catching on 2 or 3 cylinders. This progressed to needing to sit stationary for 2-3 minutes at 14-1600 rpm after starting until engine smoothed out, even with new glow plugs so only choice new injectors. Yet again front off van to get at them, now sorted but at great expense but at least we’re running smooth again and starting up normal. Now whilst I can understand some peoples idea that I should have had them all done at the same time a £4000 bill in one go for Alternator, Glow plugs, Wiring Loom, Air con Consensor would hurt too much I’m afraid so had to go with diagnostic advises at the appropriate time. Add to the £4000 another £2600 for injectors and fitting I’m beggining to wonder where VW reputation is going!! Also you cannot believe all what these diagnostics reveal not even the VAG system, probably get better clues from the T5 forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
But don't you just love the stylish look of the Vw buses!
Even the new vivaros's and transits don't look a patch on this legend of a motor!!

I even had a guy in a new Transit Custom Sport comment that how he wished he could
Afford a vw T5.1 sportline!

I've had my fair share of parts done on my van and keep saying at the time "Damn thing"!
Once the repairs are done and I'm back in the drivers seat I'm smiling!

Good luck fellow v dubbers!!:ILU:

·
Registered
141 Posts
That works out at 3.8 pence per mile, is that really so bad?

What engine/ gearbox?

What were the cost upto say 150,000 miles?

·
Registered
31 Posts
how much did it cost to change the power steering pump ive checked my fluid res and its changed colour so contaminated with engine oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts