VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking forward to being T5 owners sometime soon. Its like entering a whole new world! Before we dive in, wanted a bit of feedback and perhaps reassurance...

We have our eye on a 2013 T5 Kombi T32 4Motion 2.0TDi which has done just over 100k miles. Its an ex-lease van, its had a full 128AA check with no issues, and has a full service history.

Its relatively high miles compared to most vans of that year, but this puts it in our price range! It suggests that its probably motorway miles?, and it seems they will go well over 250K miles if looked after, so we have our heads around that okay.

On the bonnet we noticed it has a LOT of small chips in the paintwork that have been touched up (possibly many small rock chips?), and possibly a replaced front bumper as it is black plastic as opposed to being the same colour as the van (or is this standard issue in a 2013 Kombi?). Do these seemingly cosmetic things point to anything to worry about?

This van ticks so many boxes for us, we would like 4motion as we are moving back to New Zealand at some point in the future where it will come in handy. Also, the customs process is quite strict, so easier if we buy a van with the least modifications.

Like anyone, we are not wanting to buy a lemon! Any thoughts welcome. Thanks so much, and can't wait to become part of the club!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Dove,

I have a 2005 T5 panel van and it has done 235K miles!! :eek:, it has been regularly serviced and was a fleet vehicle before I owned it so was just lots of motorway miles. I have, replaced a few things but otherwise (touch wood.......) it's still going strong.

Can't answer the question regarding the bumper, but you probably want to just ensure it hasn't had a front end bump.

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Dove,
I bought a year-old 4Motion Kombi in 2006 and have now done over 120,000 miles in it. A great vehicle, wouldnt have anything other than a 4Motion (used to get stuck sometimes in my previous 2WD T4, here in wet west Wales), and it drives beautifully. Traction depends a lot on the type of tyres though - Mud & Snow type seem best compromise for mixed driving year-round. Newer 4Motions are so rare & therefore expensive I'm planning to keep mine indefinitely (short of winning the lottery, of course - in which case a new 4Motion)
Only major cost on my T5 has been new clutch & flywheel a few months ago, maybe due to doing a lot of towing. Chips on the bonnet suggest to me the one you're looking at has done a lot of motorway work, which unless it was being thrashed is easier on the mechanics than constant stop/start. Chipping of the bonnet paintwork is why you see some T5s with fabric covers on the bonnets, or obviously re-sprayed bonnets.
Mine has a black bumper too, and at the back. I think colour-coded bumpers were an extra back then. But as Jim suggests, check underneath that the tray below the engine shows no signs of having been crumpled or replaced (looks too new). The AA check should have spotted anything suspicious.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim and 4pointers for your replies. It is indeed reassuring!

There seems to be no untoward signs of further damage to the front, so I think we are going to go for it. Really good to hear that the 4motion is worth the extra expense in your experience.

A further thought on the black bumper - does that indicate that it might have been a panel van converted into a Kombi? Or perhaps just a basic Kombi with the black bumper. It can be quite hard to gauge the history of a vehicle! Not that it will affect our decision at this stage, I think we are too far down the track and too excited by the idea of imminent ownership!

Its really fantastic to have this forum to connect in with. Some really great info on here, and has been very helpful.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Our 2013 was a Kombi Highline. At 50k miles we have several stone chips but touch them up as we go. Always factored an inevitable bonnet respray at some point.

Colour coded bumpers back and front were Trendline and Highline options so check what this one was. If the bumpers are different colours the clearly one of them, presumably the front, would have been replaced. That doesn't necessarily mean anything bad as they are easy enough to damage.

Perhaps you should ask the seller for a bonnet respray and colour match the bumper at the same time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

New to the forum and looking forward to adding to it in the future.

I am looking at buying a 2004 2.5 tdi, its already nicely converted into a camper. however the van is high mileage at 190000 miles. is this to high to be reliable without many issues in the near future?

The van is very smart, modified tastefully and in good condition inside and out.

however the i do think the van is overpriced at £13000 what do you guys think?

is it a potential buy or stay well clear?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I regularly drive on motorways and shout WTF was that as I hear another stone etc hit the van so wouldn't worry too much about the stone chips. I never drive close to the vehicle in front but still get hit with whatever is flying about. guess that's why people put bonnet bras or whatever they are called on the front lol

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
As others have suggested the bonnet chips suggest motorway miles.
At least the van is being presented honestly & it appears that the vendor is not trying to cover anything up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts