VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T5 4Motion Clutch Change - Help Needed

32K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  MattMan73 
#1 ·

OK I broke my first rule and let someone who only drives automatics to drive my T5, he was picking me up at the other end of a mountain biking track, but I'm now wishing I'd stayed at home! As soon as I drove it knew something had changed regarding clutch, kept sticking to the floor- checked the various posts on here and deduced that either the DMF had given up or the clutch slave cylinder, kind of immaterial which as both require gearbox out!!!

So got into it yesterday, so far I've undone all bell housing bolts, or at least I hope I have some are very well hidden. I've undone all engine mounts and removed the gearbox mount. The LHS drive shalft is giving me grief, I've got it out of the hub- no worries, but couldn't release it from the differential side, in the end undid the cv boot and undid the circlip, all good except I need to get the inner CV off to get the gearbox out (don't I?). Also I've been trying to split the gearbox from the engine/differential, I've got some movement, but not much, I've put it down to still having the inner cv attached - but any advise would be welcome.:)

See less See more
#29 ·
This MAY help find the mysterious hidden fixing several people have mentioned, but this is from memory and I'm no mechanic. Near the top of the bell housing there's a deep circular recess, at the end of which is an Allen bolt..When the clutch went on my 2006 4Motion about 5yrs ago & I wanted clutch & DMF replaced, local general garage showed me the long (about 8") rod with an 8 or 9mm Allen key on the end they'd had to have made, to access this bolt hidden on the bell housing. A VW garage would have had the special tool I suppose, but we're out in the sticks here. They couldnt see if it was 8 or 9mm so had both made - I cannot remember which size it was. A lot of cursing, effing VW. In these posts I havent read anyone referring to this fixing, so this might be what's causing the dismantling problems several people have mentioned. Hope I've described this right. Anyway, have a look.

#30 ·
Yes, correct. The tool is a T10107A - 6mm X 350mm long thin Allen key to remove the O/S stub shaft in the bevel box, from the main gearbox diff.
So the tool goes in and right through the bevel box and out the other side into the main gearbox diff to the same point a 2 WD stub bolts in.

#32 ·
Hello
Again new to the forum, just bought t5 4motion with 260k kms on the clock and mechanic has said will need new clutch in near future but gave ball park figure of 3500€! So thought I’d give it a go with some help from fella who’s more experienced with mechanics. Is there anything extra I should be ordering to replace at the same time or is it a case of take everything apart and see how it looks?
Thanks in advance
I’ll introduce myself properly in appropriate section!
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.