VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am a new member looking for a T5, either a van to convert or a factory kombi. After looking at what was available on autotrader etc I decided to go to the LCV auctions and have a look there. I had a good look at six T28 1.9 vans, all ex-lease, all around 50K miles (give or take 5k) all on 57 plates, and all with barn doors. What I noticed was that on four of them, the off side rear barn door was cracked on the return edge where the two doors meet, at the bottom of the window line. Is this a common problem?

If I had bought one of these, (three of them sold in that auction, the other three are in Wednesday's listing) would VW have fixed this under warranty? On a two year vehicle I was shocked to see this problem on four out of six of the vans I looked at.

Any feedback would be received with thanks. I still can't decide between van and conversion or kombi, and auction or dealer.

Regards to you all - Alastair.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i have a crack in exactly the same place to! i decided mine was some sort of stress crack when i noticed it, its not gotten any bigger at all... i had forgottedn all about it to be honest till you mentioned it!... wouldnt worry about it if i was you as it sounds like its just one of those things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One went for £7200 the other two for £7300. Interestingly there there was a Vito, similar spec, also went for £7200. All plus vat and auction fees - nearly 9K in total.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any one on here had a crack in their door?
yep me to, same crack in exactly the same place, took mine back to vw van center today for the bodywork guy to have a look at under the 12 year body warranty. he took photos of the crack to send off to germany and said i should know in the next couple of weeks if it would be covered under the warranty, so fingers crossed. although it should be as its quite obviously a manufacturer defect for so many vans to have same same problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
stress crack on rear door. its at the bottom of where the widow would be. iIgot mine replaced under warrenty as it is common. search on here as there is other posts.

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Ask.. its a common problem

·
Registered
103 Posts
I went today to my local stealer, they took some photo's, they said they would get back to me...lets see what happens. I feel i will get mugged off.
Ernie in Plymouth:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update from the original thread starter...

After looking at quite a few more I bought a T28 1.9 on an 06 plate back in August with 33k on the clock and yep, it has a crack in the door.

Has anyone managed to get their's seen to under the warranty? Would be very interested to hear stories either way.

Regards to all - Alastair.

·
Registered
103 Posts
23/10/09 @ 0910...rang the local stealer here in plymouth, after my initial photo's that were taken it will be 2 weeks before they get back too me. i will update this thread.
ernie in sunny Plymouth:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
23/10/09 @ 0910...rang the local stealer here in plymouth, after my initial photo's that were taken it will be 2 weeks before they get back too me. i will update this thread.
ernie in sunny Plymouth:)
took mine back for exact same fault, they took photos, month later they said they wouldnt fix under warranty as its classed as a mechanicle fault. how they work that one out i dont know as its a door and not an engine. robbin t**t's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts