VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i have some suggestions for finishing my barn doors on my T5. I am just starting my Kombi conversion - i have had rear seats fitted and windows installed. I have wired everything for new 6x9 speaker, and a sub in the rear. Also put in a revising camera on the rear door.
Now it comes to carpeting and final touches - for the side panels i am gonna order some original hardboard panels from VW then carpet them.
But what should o do with the barn doors they are currently ply lined but the top panel is not great, they have used self tappers to fit batton behind and then screwed to that. There are gaps and i don't like the overlap of the panel.
Should i use ply or vw hardboard?
Where should i finish the carpet? the paint on the rear door is quite tatty as it has been used as a builders van for some time.

Any help or photo's of what you've done would be great. T:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I've gone down the 6mm ply route and used plastic pig !!!T:

Hasn't come out too bad ! J:
The prob with carpet unless you go for a thin or stretchy one is the corners and then it brings away the panel as you can't get the panel as snug to the metal but you still can get it looking good ! There's some nice builds on here if you look around !
I played around before I was happy ! Just make sure you use a good glue and staple to make sure !
tricky one when the paints had a hard life on the doors ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a good way to do things. Where I am working the joiner's are fitting leather panels on the wall with Velcro, I may have to borrow some and have a play! Just will take some time and planning!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've gone down the 6mm ply route and used plastic pig !!!T:

Hasn't come out too bad ! J:
The prob with carpet unless you go for a thin or stretchy one is the corners and then it brings away the panel as you can't get the panel as snug to the metal but you still can get it looking good ! There's some nice builds on here if you look around !
I played around before I was happy ! Just make sure you use a good glue and staple to make sure !
tricky one when the paints had a hard life on the doors ?
How did you manage to fix the ply to the door, door panel is so thin, this is what I want to achieve... Looks great!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Bottom ones , drilled and self tappers ( not the best way , and prob do diff next time as been told of some excellent poppers that are hard to come by ! ) but looks ok for now .

top ones , glued sticky back velcro to van and in middle to get it to follow curve of van . And obv to the panel ( with shallow staples ) T:

Good luck , and hope this helps ! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts