VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads & lassies,

My blower fan recently started making it's own music in the form of squeaks and groans so I decided to tackle it
before I displayed symptoms of madness. As I couldn't find any pics related to this issue, I decided to post up a
few that I took on the way which may help those souls who want to venture boldly forth into the blower fan dungeon. :D

So to begin with, the lower and mid section of the dash needs to be disassembled to look like so:

With these bits removed, the temple of squeaks & groans i.e. the blower fan, is now accessible. Disconnect the power
connector going to the blower. Next, remove the retainer screws that keep the blower in place. I think there are around
7 or 8 of these into total (some are located behind the blower - depending on the size of your hands, they may make
you swear profusely....you have been warned !):

With the retainer screws removed, the blower unit can be removed so after muttering the magic words "A la peanut butter
sandwiches", I was able to make the blower disappear by sliding downwards:

To access the bearings, the fan motor needs to be separated from its bottom housing. There are 4 rubber sponge-like
tabs that need to be pressed inwards with a flat head screwdriver and then the fan unit can be pulled upwards and away.

Now that Mr. Fan is bereft of his clothing, he's not so brave and not making a racket now......

In order to try to silence the fan, firstly I let some WD40 penetrate the top and bottom bearings before finishing off with
some copper grease for good measure. See below.....

And the top:

And that's it really. As they say in the manuals, reassembly is the reverse of the removal. I did rotate the fan to see if I could
feel any rough spots but all seemed okay.
One thing to be aware of is when fitting the fan unit back into it's cover, ensure the 4 rubber spongy tabs are seated
all the way home - it helps to give them a wee squirt of WD40 to soften them up.
It's early days but the fan is back to it's silent self and sanity has been preserved in the cabin ! :ILU:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried this twice last year and lubricating it for me meant it would be quiet for about 3 months after each time. I ended up replacing the motor in jan which cost 220 quid. I had to change in the end as it kept blowing the fuse as I guess resistance in motor was too high.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know it's over 9 months ago buuuuuttt.....
...were any of you able to undo the push plug from the motor housing (the one at the end of the orange and black wires) when removing the motor from the housing. For the life of me i can't get it undone and don't want to snap it. There must be a knack I'm not aware of.

I suspect I'll have to replace my motor (££££££!) as I turned it on while it was not mounted in the dash to check if that was the problem or not and it was sparking and juddering in my hand. I had to give it a flick to get it spinning then it would grind to a sparking halt after about 2 seconds!! 'Tis knackered!

The pics helped me a lot by the way. Thanks T:

·
Registered
2011 Kombi Camper conv. T5.1 140
487 Posts
Agree with last post. Knackered brushes. Search on here as someone bought new brushes off eBay and fitted them. Good luck?T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know it's over 9 months ago buuuuuttt.....
...were any of you able to undo the push plug from the motor housing (the one at the end of the orange and black wires) when removing the motor from the housing. For the life of me i can't get it undone and don't want to snap it. There must be a knack I'm not aware of.

I suspect I'll have to replace my motor (££££££!) as I turned it on while it was not mounted in the dash to check if that was the problem or not and it was sparking and juddering in my hand. I had to give it a flick to get it spinning then it would grind to a sparking halt after about 2 seconds!! 'Tis knackered!

The pics helped me a lot by the way. Thanks T:
Keep your casing and buy a motor from the bay (german seller) about £70 delivered. It is for a left hand drive, but just put motor into your right hand drive casing!
Beats the £200 odd price over here.T:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks all. T:
Its well and truly knackered it seems and i have had to resort to a new motor which Banwy provided pretty swiftly. Plugged it in at lunchtime and now i can see through the screen again! YAY! Shame the turbo pipe went bang on the way back from London last night. This is turning into a money pit. I keep telling myself its all worth it (repeatedly).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi all,
Many, many thanks to all contributors especially Richie D for giving me the confidence to try to fix my blower motor.
I bought from ebay from Germany bargain at £55 including post & packing from Germany.

It is correctly advertised as for Left Hand Drive VW T5s BUT the heater blower motor on my RHD T5 stopped working.
The new motor arrived really fast and well packed. The difference between LHD and RHD blowers is the shape of the black plastic housing and the direction of the fan supply wires.
Once you have taken out the old blower motor from your van, you separate the actual motor from the black plastic housing by compressing the 4 tapered rubber locators around the outside of the blower housing, WD40 helps. It is then held in by a plug connector, after a bit of wiggling and using 2 cocktail sticks to compress little plastic lugs it comes away. (instruction's in previous posts).
You then separate the new motor from it's black plastic housing.
You then fit the new motor to your old black plastic housing, again a small bit of WD40 helps the rubber wedges. You do not need to swap the cylindrical fan blades.
If you just fitted the assembled motor and housing back into the van with no further work the motor will run in the wrong direction and will suck not blow.
So you need to reverse the wires that plug into the black plastic housing, when that is done it works perfectly! There are a couple of ways to do this.
You could cut the wires and reconnect them to the 'wrong colour wire then fit.
You could file the plug down so that it can be inserted the other way round.
I found that using a extremely thin steel rod ( I used the inside steel rod from a windscreen wiper blade after you strip away the rubber) the plug from the vans loom that plugs into the motor housing can be separated so the 2 individual wires/blades can be swapped around in their housing then plugged back into the housing.
Doing the above will I assume invalidate the warrantee given by the seller but I believe the cost saving outweighs the risk of premature failure.
All the above is a little fiddly but not hard and as always very satisfying when it works.

·
Read Only
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,
Many, many thanks to all contributors especially Richie D for giving me the confidence to try to fix my blower motor.
I bought from ebay from Germany bargain at £55 including post & packing from Germany.
Okay, since my original post back in 2015, my motor has gotten really noisy now and I reckon it's time to replace it. I'm not keen on the €325 price tag from my local dealer so I'm very interested in the LHD option that's mentioned above. There are a few German sellers on eBay but can any of you recommend one in particular ??
Also, I have noticed that some of those advertised say they are for A/C vehicles but not those with climate control. My T5 has neither so will these still work ?? :*

·
Read Only
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I eventually sourced a Febi Bilstein blower fan for a LHD T5 in the UK of all places. As other have done, I swapped over the fan unit to fit the RHD housing and reversed the power wire. I done this by filing off the plastic tabs on the connector thus allowing the connector to be fitted "upside down" so the fan now has the correct polarity. Happy out with a quiet fan these days ! T:
Then I discovered that fan speed #1 wasn't working. It was probably only a matter of time before speeds #2 and #3 would fail so I bought an aftermarket ballast resistor from Travelinlite on here (via eBay) and now all the fan speeds are back working as designed.
I did notice that the cabin filter was pretty clogged so this may have helped the demise of the ballast resistor.

·
Registered
321 Posts
there is a chap named John from plymouth, cant remember where but found him online and he fully refurb blowers and gives 1 or 2 year warranty.
I cant remember if I had to sent of mine to him first or he sent me refurbed one first but I am happy enough with his service. I believe it cost me under 200 quid, super fast turnaround. If u want the number please let me know and I can PM his number.
or if its permitted I can post it here?
jo

·
Registered
83 Posts
Big thanks to all for the descriptive threads here. I have replaced the resistor pack and all is well with the world. My fan is good but the airflow is still poor. I had a look at the intake and it is very tight where the bonnet meets the plastic fascia. I had it off the other day cleaning out the space underneath and tried the fan with it off. What a difference! Its all back on now and i have to wonder is it this thats causing the resistor packs to go so much? The airflow being the thing that cools the packs.

·
Read Only
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there is a chap named John from plymouth, cant remember where but found him online and he fully refurb blowers and gives 1 or 2 year warranty.
I cant remember if I had to sent of mine to him first or he sent me refurbed one first but I am happy enough with his service. I believe it cost me under 200 quid, super fast turnaround. If u want the number please let me know and I can PM his number.
or if its permitted I can post it here?
jo
Buying the LHD item and swapping the housing over only cost me around £75. It's a Febi-Bilstein blower so I reckon the quality is good if their other products are anything to go by.

Regarding the airflow, fulltimefixing, what is the condition of your cabin filter ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its a new filter. The old one was bad alright but not the worst ive ever seen. Ive had the fan out and the brushes are good. Lubed the bearings and it is free as a bird. When i turn it up to 4 is makes a lot of blowing noise alright but the airflow is desperately poor. Then, as i said, i took off the outside fascia panel and there is a vast improvement in airflow. The gap between the bonnet and the panel is maybe 5 maybe 6mm so it is very tight. All the slots are hidden by the fact they face forward and are under the bonnet. Maybe i could mill out some slots in the panel....

·
Read Only
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it possible the ducting around the blower fan and inwards towards the filter has a partial blockage with debris i.e. leaves etc ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I dont know about downstream from the filter but it should be clear since the filter would not let that stuff pass. Upstream is clear. I can actually see out when the fan is out. Well, see the fascia panel on the outside. So it is clear of debris from the filter to the outside. I'm a technician by trade so i have a fair idea how to fix stuff and this has me stumped. I'll check downstream from the filter and the aircon element as well. Actually that could be gummed up. But it would smell then.....maybe??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just looked at two similar fan motors on ebay and looking closely at the fan blades/slats, on one fan they face one way and on the next fan they face in the opposite direction. Could this be your problem?

·
Registered
464 Posts
:) Just looked at two similar fan motors on ebay and looking closely at the fan blades/slats, on one fan they face one way and on the next fan they face in the opposite direction. Could this be your problem?

LHD drive heater motor wont work unless you can change the fan blades to the RHD item .

You are right mate hence no blowing lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts