VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After not long buying my T5, i went to use it with my BJT yesterday and it kept blowing the right hand sidelight fuse.

Weird thing is, the van wiring is all good and has a new socket fitted and checked using my LED trailer lights on another trailer- works perfect.

I also know the BJT is all spot on and working correctly with another tow vehicle!

All i can think is the standard 5amp fuse is too low a rating?

The BJT has 6 sidelight/ marker bulbs per side- is that enough current draw to be blowing the standard 5amp sidelight fuse? Will changing to 10amp be okay?

T:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Could be borderline & the O/S circuit as it probably supplies the number plate lights as well.

Try replacing the fuses (do the N/S as well) with 7.5a ones.

Both my trailers have OTT LED lighting & I have to rune with 10a in mine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So more than likely thats my problem then. Will upgrade to 10amp and hopefully be done with it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like its a faulty rear light unit on the trailer, was just coincidence it was first of me using on the T5.

Ordered a new light so hopefully that'll sort it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So replaced rear light due to deteriorated connections and main 7 pin plug just to rule that out.

Lights worked perfect again for about 40 mins, then blew a 10A fuse on the drivers side sidelights!!

I worked out the trailer has 5 extra 5w bulbs, so thats 25w divided by 12v which is just over 2A current, so the 10A fuse should be sufficient over the 5A standard..

Any ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts