VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I’ve not posted here before but I have read up and followed a lot of discussions.
I got the van (2.5tdi 242,000 miles) in September last year.
I done the usual sound deadening insulation and carpeting, got an IKEA sofa bed and off we went to Cornwall for a week.

That all worked fine but it just wasn’t a great use of the space.

I’ve been a big fan of stitches and steel since I was shown their stuff and I like the design of the wessex/exploria kombi beds but they weren’t quite what I wanted and I couldn’t afford the stitches and steel conversion so I made my own.

Initially I was put off by the idea of making my own because I don’t have a welder and didn’t fancy making it from wood. But after a lot of research I decided to use Rosscastors tube connectors and tube/box.

Drew up some plans and eventually after a lot of tweaking, set on one design.

I’ll supply a parts list for everything you need once it’s completed but I thought I’d share with you lot because I can’t be the only person in my situation.

I think the rough total is about £450 all in but I did use 18mm phenolic ply which was £187

the metal work was £130

rough measurements are 1600mm wide 1900mm long.
Storage height under is 460mm
Tools list:
Drill
Step drill bit
Skill saw
Metal chop saw (borrowed)

here’s the photos I’ll update as I go.

Sleeve Wood Denim Font Material property
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Blue Automotive tail & brake light
Cloud Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Sky
Fixture Vehicle door Gas Tints and shades Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Floor Gas
Hood Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just found some photos of the previous layout pretty much just as I put the sofa bed in. I did add a 3 inch reflex foam topper because that bed by itself was not comfy haha

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And here’s some photos of the van itself for anyone interested.
Standard suspension with bfgoodrich all terrain 225/70/16’s no spacers and standard steels. Van went really well in the snow, it was pretty fresh on the ground and we cruised up no worries, a couple of people were stuck and pushing but I had no issues. It is 2wd.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got some rubber backed large door mats from trago and fitted a kiravans table leg, currently using a bamboo chopping board from IKEA as the top but I think I’ll have some phenolic ply left over after I’m done so I might upgrade the table top to that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I designed the bed on paper I didn’t allow for the extra few inches into the back doors so I ordered 650mm runners for the front pull out bit. I’m still using these but won’t be pulling the bed out that far, it only has to come out 530mm to get me to 6ft 3, my feet will hang off the end but I still want my cool box to fit at the end so I’ve sacrificed that. Something to bare in mind if you do one for yourself.
I’ve also had to order another length of box because when I span the wood on the pull out section it sagged under weight in the middle so the updated version will look something like this, I’ll post more photos once it’s all on properly.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Nice work thus far, great fun designing and building these to exactly how you want it (y)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work thus far, great fun designing and building these to exactly how you want it (y)
Cheers mate, yeah it’s been fun, kept me busy throughout January that’s the main thing

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
When I designed the bed on paper I didn’t allow for the extra few inches into the back doors so I ordered 650mm runners for the front pull out bit. I’m still using these but won’t be pulling the bed out that far, it only has to come out 530mm to get me to 6ft 3, my feet will hang off the end but I still want my cool box to fit at the end so I’ve sacrificed that. Something to bare in mind if you do one for yourself.
I’ve also had to order another length of box because when I span the wood on the pull out section it sagged under weight in the middle so the updated version will look something like this, I’ll post more photos once it’s all on properly. View attachment 188049
Looking really good mate. Love the snow pictures, doing my nut in I can't hit the hills just now. I would settle for a wild camp out with a fire and a beer!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking really good mate. Love the snow pictures, doing my nut in I can't hit the hills just now. I would settle for a wild camp out with a fire and a beer!
Cheers man! Yeah it was nice to get up there early doors before the crowds, luckily Haytor is only 3 miles from my house. You and me both regarding the camping but just gotta make use of the time on the van before we’re allowed out to play again haha

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nice work! Good to see peoples different set-ups in the back and how they go about building them. Looks like this will be plenty sturdy once it's complete.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work! Good to see peoples different set-ups in the back and how they go about building them. Looks like this will be plenty sturdy once it's complete.
Thank you! I’m hoping so, originally I wanted to be able to have it open under the bed so I could still get a 8x4 sheet under the bed. It would have worked if I went with 2” box instead of one. But I’m happy how it’s turned out so far and I can just put sheets on top when I need to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looked at a few designs and built this in lockdown. Great and interesting to see other people’s designs. I would have liked to have done a metal one like you but in the end I found it easier to go with wood and then cover it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Made use of some more of the offcuts this afternoon, little pull out shelf should just about be the right size for the twin gas burner I’m hoping to get.

·
Registered
2013 Startline T5 Kombi
253 Posts
just looking into sorting a bed for our Kombi and this is very inspirational. To confirm, you made the frame with no welding? What is this magical stuff?!?!?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
just looking into sorting a bed for our Kombi and this is very inspirational. To confirm, you made the frame with no welding? What is this magical stuff?!?!?
I can confirm no welding at all! It’s all from rosscastors, they use it for industrial shelving a lot of the time but it can be used for loads of stuff, kind of like adult Lego haha here’s a screenshot of the connection bits. I used the 22mm square foot plates to screw the rear legs down and will be doing the same on the front when those ones arrive. I used a chopsaw to cut all the tubes and it left a bur inside and outside obviously, if I could do it again I wouldn’t debur the inside of the tube, it just gives the connections a bit more of a snug fit. Or
Once you’ve built the bed and you’re happy just send some metal screws through to solidify it right up. I can upload a picture of the crude drawing that I used if you like.
(Screenshot required approval from Admins but if you zoom in you can see a connector here)

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Started the leisure battery setup today whilst I’m waiting on bed frame bits.
Pretty straight forward and I’m sure hundreds of people have documented this before, but thought I’d give my input too, photos are pretty self explanatory but any questions, fire away.
Simple enough kit that a mate of mine made up for me in motormart.
2.5 meter was just about right for battery tosplit charge relay under drivers seat. The metal panel I’m holding I drilled a hole in to pull the cable through but forgot to take a photo.

·
Registered
2013 Startline T5 Kombi
253 Posts
I can confirm no welding at all! It’s all from rosscastors, they use it for industrial shelving a lot of the time but it can be used for loads of stuff, kind of like adult Lego haha here’s a screenshot of the connection bits. I used the 22mm square foot plates to screw the rear legs down and will be doing the same on the front when those ones arrive. I used a chopsaw to cut all the tubes and it left a bur inside and outside obviously, if I could do it again I wouldn’t debur the inside of the tube, it just gives the connections a bit more of a snug fit. Or
Once you’ve built the bed and you’re happy just send some metal screws through to solidify it right up. I can upload a picture of the crude drawing that I used if you like.
(Screenshot required approval from Admins but if you zoom in you can see a connector here)
View attachment 188137
Thanks for that, how do the sliders work? Is that so you can have like a sofa and then the sliders extend to make a bed? Also what is the weight like compared to something like 2x2 wood?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for that, how do the sliders work? Is that so you can have like a sofa and then the sliders extend to make a bed? Also what is the weight like compared to something like 2x2 wood?
The sliders are just heavy duty drawer runners, it just gives the bed an extension so its suitable length for me and the wife to sleep on. If we were both her height we could get away with sleeping sideways in the van as the bed is about 1650mm wide. when the pull out extension bit has been slid back under, the wood will be on hinges and fold back over the top like a piano lid, hard to explain without having it to take photos of. for sofa purposes and just chilling, we plan on using the cushion from the extension sideways and sitting with our backs on the side wall of the van if that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts