VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forum after purchasing a 53 plate T5 1.9 TDI SWB. I'm slowly working my way though several issues with the van that are driving me mental, one being a horrendous noise coming from the dashboard at the passenger side towards the windscreen. I've scoured the threads to find a resolution which has led me to remove the speakers and glovebox but as the noise is still present the only option I see is removing the dash completely to investigate. The sound, to me, sounds like plastic being rubbed together very tightly and hard so maybe some metal framework of the van rubbing the dash? It's more of a rubbing squeak than a rattle of something that's fallen down there.

Anyway... what I would like ask is if there is anyone out there with a removal guide for the dash or some light at the end of this deafening squeaky tunnel!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I removed my dash at the weekend - very easy. A lot of torx screws. The most challenging part was removing the airbag cover on the passenger side as the screws face the windscreen! I dropped the steering column by removing 4 bolts which meant I didn't need to remove the airbags or steering wheel.

Take the battery terminal off...

Use VAGCAT as there is a diagram of the screws on there.

work methodically across the van. I removed all the bottom parts first incl both fuse boxes before starting the top.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers buddy, I'll set some time aside for it this weekend. I can't seem to find anything on VAGCAT though. Whilst you had yours off did you notice anything on the passenger side that could be the source of the noise?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cheers buddy, I'll set some time aside for it this weekend. I can't seem to find anything on VAGCAT though. Whilst you had yours off did you notice anything on the passenger side that could be the source of the noise?
theres a couple of metal brackets that may have come loose or maybe something dropped down the front edge (mine was full of parking tickets lol) or such like. But you should be able to see those by removing the glovebox. Try taking off the lower panels that side (one underneath thats black and the lower dash panel) and seem if theres anything obvious for starters. I'll have a butchers tonight and see if anything stands out....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, puzzling. Is your dash stripped at the moment? The sound doesn't sound very muzzled which makes me think it's the actual dash rubbing on a metal cross member or something.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi the noise you are describing is the dash rubbing on the bulkhead, remove the dash speaker grill just pops up, carefully lever up the corner of the dash by the windscreen and push in some foam to lift that corner slightly, that should cure the noise I have done many of these over the years and that has always sorted it. Pop the grill back in and squeak free driving

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi the noise you are describing is the dash rubbing on the bulkhead, remove the dash speaker grill just pops up, carefully lever up the corner of the dash by the windscreen and push in some foam to lift that corner slightly, that should cure the noise I have done many of these over the years and that has always sorted it. Pop the grill back in and squeak free driving
Good shout I think I'll stick some down before I refit my dash! I've got some self adhesive chassis foam from my days building a kit car so will use that. T:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No joy.... I stuffed as much foam as I could down the speaker grill gap but it seems to still be coming from the middle of the passenger side, beyond the reach from that grill. I think it's going to have to be a dash removal job followed by lots of foam and silicon!

·
Registered
242 Posts
if its coming from the middle, you should be able to feel around with the gbox out or remove the lower panel and go up...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like it's definitely inside the cab but I'll check anyway, thanks :) I wish you could post audio clips on here for easier diagnosis! I've not got round to removing the dash yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hats off to M8rty... that's exactly what it was. I apologise for my niavety but I've paid the price by suffering with it longer than needed. Very happy camper now with a silent(ish) van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you please explain how you fixed this as I’m having exactly the same problem and it’s ruining my life haha!!!!

Many thanks,

Adam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts