VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the door speakers for something a bit better. Ideally they can just screw straight in with no mods on door pods etc. Budget around £50 max, any suggestions what would make a worthwhile improvement without breaking the bank?
I'll be sound deadening the door and insulating as well which should also make a difference.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fitted some Alpine SXE-2035S 8inch speakers (£49.99ebay) with CT25VW04 Door adaptors (£6.80 ebay). The speakers were coaxial but there is a screw in the back of the speaker which enables you to remove the coaxial tweeters which I refitted in the dash under the grills. A bit of soldering to extend the wires to the head unit where I wired them in parallel with the doors and kept the crossover capacitor that came with the speakers.
I seem to remember a small amount of metal bending was needed to get the adaptors to fit nicely in the doors. I also used sealant to ensure a properly airtight seal for max bass. No clearance issues with window or door panel.
The result is fantastic with some properly quality deep bass from the doors with good clarity from the tweeters in the dash.

Only just over your budget but people who have heard it cant believe the quality! (my kids play Beiber #thatpower cranked and it makes your eyes vibrate!)

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
We do many great speaker upgrade kits

Do not skimp on this otherwise you might as well keep the originals...

·
2012 180 Sportline SWB Camper
1,144 Posts
We do many great speaker upgrade kits

Do not skimp on this otherwise you might as well keep the originals...
Cheers everyone, having a look online tonight to see what's out there. T:
Dave, Jason @ Absolut5 is your man for this.

Well respected on here and highly recommended.

He can put together the best set up for your budget and supply everything you need.

He's even on the end of a phone should you come unstuck.

T:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Got the Blam BR200RS 8" from Absolute5, well worth the £200 including adaptor rings, work very well off standard Kenwood, but I'm upgrading this year yo a better head unit.
Great advice from Absolute 5,

·
Premium Member
4,679 Posts
Dave, Jason @ Absolut5 is your man for this.

Well respected on here and highly recommended.

He can put together the best set up for your budget and supply everything you need.

He's even on the end of a phone should you come unstuck.

T:
Got the Blam BR200RS 8" from Absolute5, well worth the £200 including adaptor rings, work very well off standard Kenwood, but I'm upgrading this year yo a better head unit.
Great advice from Absolute 5,

Cheers guysT:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats great providing you don't get a problem with them and need to return them :rolleyes:
I fitted some Alpine SXE-2035S 8inch speakers (£49.99ebay) with CT25VW04 Door adaptors (£6.80 ebay). The speakers were coaxial but there is a screw in the back of the speaker which enables you to remove the coaxial tweeters which I refitted in the dash under the grills. A bit of soldering to extend the wires to the head unit where I wired them in parallel with the doors and kept the crossover capacitor that came with the speakers.
I seem to remember a small amount of metal bending was needed to get the adaptors to fit nicely in the doors. I also used sealant to ensure a properly airtight seal for max bass. No clearance issues with window or door panel.
The result is fantastic with some properly quality deep bass from the doors with good clarity from the tweeters in the dash.

Only just over your budget but people who have heard it cant believe the quality! (my kids play Beiber #thatpower cranked and it makes your eyes vibrate!)
Hi pal
Just bought the exact same speakers and spacers going to give it a go any tips on wiring before I start
Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
Blam BR200RS ... how do those tweeters fit in the dash? If you look on the Blam website it just shows them as being a dome unit with no securing screw holes in them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have to agree with the above comments, Jason at Absolut5, even though the shop is shut he went in and made me up a set of 8 inch focals with tweeters so it was a straight forward job fitting them.....no cutting wires just plug and play. the sound in my van is outstanding, great bass from just the head unit and crystel clear from the tweeters.....sound proofing the outer door skins completely has made the road noise inside the van 100% better also can hear all the music with the volume down low. i took of the inner window panel so i could do all of the outer door skin......its not as daunting a job as you might imagine, if you watch the video on youtube (vw passat window removal) its a step by step guide, the t5 is exactly the same! Its worth the extra work, the payback is enormous! doing both doors from beginning to end took 6 hours, the drivers door took 4 hours as it was the first time i had done it, the passenger door i did in 2 hours, that included having lunch.

Patrick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, just catching up on here, agreed with Patrick, Focals all the way, maybe even same kit I went for the integrated series! ISU200 complete kit under £150..and defo soundproof those doors or the extra oomph from woofers wasted!
ps these sound as good as my Kef LS50 home speakers also used only for hi-res listening!
pps running a 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer in parallel (effectively doubling the power output-mines a Audison Aps10D) would give you a perfect tonal balance without the need for a separate amp as it would use the rear outputs normally wasted imo on 6x9's which cause 'cross talk' in a van in any event, check you head unit can handle the extra power though!

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Hi, just catching up on here, agreed with Patrick, Focals all the way, maybe even same kit I went for the integrated series! ISU200 complete kit under £150..and defo soundproof those doors or the extra oomph from woofers wasted!
ps these sound as good as my Kef LS50 home speakers also used only for hi-res listening!
pps running a 2 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer in parallel (effectively doubling the power output-mines a Audison App 10D) would give you a perfect tonal balance without the need for a separate amp as it would use the rear outputs normally wasted imo on 6x9's which cause 'cross talk' in a van in any event, check you head unit can handle the extra power though!
Thanks for the feedback - those focals look very compact do you actually get much low end from them or is the sub a necessity for this?
Its an interesting looking sub too ...i'm all abit old school when it comes to audio .
Wheres your sub mounted?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the feedback - those focals look very compact do you actually get much low end from them or is the sub a necessity for this?
Its an interesting looking sub too ...i'm all abit old school when it comes to audio .
Wheres your sub mounted?
hey Bitterandtwisted, yeah the Focal isu200's are as good as the KEF LS50's sonically meaning to say the mids and the highs are where I find these speakers sing. Vocals will reveal like never before especially FLAC/Hi-RES. Bass re-inforcement is in my view a necessity or you risk cranking up these front component speakers only for the top end to literally be making your ears split & bleed!! yeah, that clear & crisp a. top end treble...and woofers are at least 50% better than previous 6.5's but stick a dvc sub without an amp (oh yes) anywhere using rear head unit outputs (10" min as woofers in door now 8") mines under my seat, the enclosure designed for it the Q+ VWT5/6 fits as snug as a bug in the rug and the aural balance will have you thinking the Italians at Audison set your system up for you simple, relatively cheap and all purposely designed for our buses:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts