Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

DSM - Did you replace the stubshaft, and if so what did you go with ?. The difference in cost between VW stubshaft and aftermarket appears to be quite small.

Thanks again

John

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Replaced both the drive shaft and input shaft, which was also damaged. (one bolt in centre) both from JandR, make sure they are well packed with grease when you put them back together. My mate replaced them for me T:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Rang them up today to see if they sell the 1,9 driveshaft and stub shaft ?????That will be a NO then boo:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(Only for the 2.5 boys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, firstly my driveshaft and input shaft both went with an loud bang four hundred metres from work on friday just, its come out of the garage tday with a bill of 650£ 257£ for drive shaft from vw and 157£ for the input shaft again from vw, which is a bloody scandal, so guys n gals if you can purchase the above items elsewhere i would certainly recommend it, even if you struggle to get the input shaft and have to resort to buying from vw ive seen the driveshaft available at 75£ so no brainer save yourselves some coin!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well just replaced mine, got the parts from vw in the end they where the same price as TPS.Here is the bill
I changed the stub shaft and the inner cv joint .
When letting the cluth out you feel the thud as the play on the splines got taken up ,the new parts have made a big difference .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I went with the J&R drive shafts and stub shafts from VW, I couldnt find stub shafts much cheaper than VW to justify the saving.

The indy I use in Bedford who fitted the J&R drive shafts for me was impressed with the quality and reckoned a lot of their shafts / CV joints / boots are cheaper than trade.

Unlike some I hadnt lost drive, just had the annoying clunk. When I saw the condition of my drivers side splines on both drive shaft & stub shaft I couldnt believe that there was any drive at all, the week before the van had been climbing some steep slopes in the French Alps, I'm lucky it didnt let go then.

If you've got a transmission clunk when taking up drive then get those splines checked now !.

John

·
Registered
681 Posts
my spines had come to being a series of twisted mini triangles the garage reckoned it was a do or die situation and couldent believe that the shaft had not rotally stripped the teeth

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I went with the J&R drive shafts and stub shafts from VW, I couldnt find stub shafts much cheaper than VW to justify the saving.

The indy I use in Bedford who fitted the J&R drive shafts for me was impressed with the quality and reckoned a lot of their shafts / CV joints / boots are cheaper than trade.

Unlike some I hadnt lost drive, just had the annoying clunk. When I saw the condition of my drivers side splines on both drive shaft & stub shaft I couldnt believe that there was any drive at all, the week before the van had been climbing some steep slopes in the French Alps, I'm lucky it didnt let go then.

If you've got a transmission clunk when taking up drive then get those splines checked now !.

John
I will be replacing my drive shaft very soon :( ..
Can any one give any feedback on the J&R shafts after having them fitted for a while?
Are they standing the test of time?
Cheers,
Dazz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well got my van home at last and stripped and although the spines are well worn it was the weld on the Driveshaft that failed!

New shaft on the way from j&r and a New VW stub shaft to go on just yo be sure. The old one is worn but not a great deal all the wear was in the shaft mainly.

The weld has been on its way out for a while as part of the break has corroded over time so the crack has been half way around the shaft for some time by the looks of it. was only ever a matter of time before it went!

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the clonking when letting go and taking up drive. Been like I for over 15k now! How easy is it to assess the splines?
It takes about half an hour my mate reckoned from stripping mine.

Wheel off, hub nut and split the ball joint then remove shaft.

Sadly I can't be more specific as I didn't do it myself as the van is at a mechanic friends for an MOT as well so he is doing mt shaft.

David

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
J&R driveshaft comes in at £69.98 posted via their eBay shop. Couldn't get genuine part from VW as they are on factory back order. Hope the J&R ones are decent quality.....:*

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had J&R on my van for about 6 months ( 3-4000 miles) and began to clonk again.
I also fitted new VW stub shaft at same time

I quizzed them to check if there copied driveshaft was compatible with improved VW stub shaft. They eventually said it was.
So went ahead and bought drivers side one.

Then six months later problem came back.
I asked for a refund and they wouldn't give it me. Also told me that it was most probably passenger side failing now.
They wanted me to get a qualified mechanic to say the shaft was at fault, etc

I've since fitted genuine drive shaft and problem has vanished and its been 9months so far.

I will always buy genuine in the future from this experience!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts